"Nov. 3, 2014 -- A single blood test to detect cancer earlier is a step closer, scientists in the U.K. say, after they discovered more than 800 possible signs of cancer in the blood, called biomarkers, in people with cancer.
All cancers leav"...
Blenoxane Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Blenoxane
Generic Name: bleomycin (Pronunciation: BLEE oh MYE sin)
- What is bleomycin (Blenoxane)?
- What are the possible side effects of bleomycin (Blenoxane)?
- What is the most important information I should know about bleomycin (Blenoxane)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before receiving bleomycin (Blenoxane)?
- How is bleomycin given (Blenoxane)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Blenoxane)?
- What happens if I overdose (Blenoxane)?
- What should I avoid while receiving bleomycin (Blenoxane)?
- What other drugs will affect bleomycin (Blenoxane)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is bleomycin (Blenoxane)?
Bleomycin is a cancer medication that interferes with the growth and spread of cancer cells in the body.
Bleomycin is used to treat squamous cell carcinoma, a skin cancer that can affect the mouth, throat, nose and sinuses, penis, vagina, cervix, and other. Bleomycin is also used to treat Hodgkin's disease and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, testicular cancer, and malignant pleural effusion (a build-up of fluid in the outer tissues of the lungs, caused by certain types of cancer).
Bleomycin treats only the symptoms of cancer but does not treat the cancer itself.
Bleomycin may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of bleomycin (Blenoxane)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- fever or chills;
- sudden chest pain or discomfort, wheezing, dry cough or hack;
- feeling short of breath on exertion;
- confusion, feeling weak or tired, loss of appetite, rapid weight loss;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips;
- severe redness, itching, rash, blistering, or tenderness of your skin; or
- unusual hardening or thickening of your skin.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dark streaks or discoloring on your skin;
- fingernail or toenail changes;
- temporary hair loss;
- mild itching;
- pain near your tumor; or
- redness, warmth, itching, or swelling around the IV needle.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Blenoxane (bleomycin sulfate injection) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about bleomycin (Blenoxane)?
You should not receive bleomycin if you have ever had an allergic reaction to it.
Do not use bleomycin if you are pregnant. It could harm the unborn baby.
Before receiving bleomycin, tell your doctor if you have lung disease or a breathing disorder, kidney disease, or liver disease.
To be sure this medication is not causing harmful effects on your lungs, you may need to have chest X-rays or other lung function tests on a regular basis. Do not miss any follow-up visits to your doctor.
If you need surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time that you are being treated with bleomycin.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as fever, chills, mouth sores, confusion, weakness, loss of appetite, rapid weight loss, sudden chest pain or discomfort, wheezing, dry cough, feeling short of breath, feeling like you might pass out, unusual hardening or thickening of your skin, or severe skin reaction (redness, itching, rash, blistering, or tenderness).
Additional Blenoxane Information
- Blenoxane Drug Interactions Center: bleomycin inj
- Blenoxane Side Effects Center
- Blenoxane Overview including Precautions
- Blenoxane FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Blenoxane - User Reviews
Blenoxane User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.