"Oct. 28, 2012 -- Flu vaccines may do more than guard against infection. New research hints that the vaccine, which is recommended for all adults, may also help the heart.
Two new studies presented at the 2012 Canadian Cardiovascular C"...
Blocadren Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Blocadren
Generic Name: timolol (Pronunciation: TIH mo lol)
- What is timolol (Blocadren)?
- What are the possible side effects of timolol (Blocadren)?
- What is the most important information I should know about timolol (Blocadren)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking timolol (Blocadren)?
- How should I take timolol (Blocadren)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Blocadren)?
- What happens if I overdose (Blocadren)?
- What should I avoid while taking timolol (Blocadren)?
- What other drugs will affect timolol (Blocadren)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is timolol (Blocadren)?
Timolol is in a group of drugs called beta-blockers. Beta-blockers affect the heart and circulation (blood flow through arteries and veins).
Timolol is used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure).
Timolol may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
Timolol 10 mg-MYL
round, green, imprinted with M 221
Timolol 20 mg-MYL
oblong, green, imprinted with M 715
Timolol 5 mg-MYL
round, green, imprinted with M 55
What are the possible side effects of timolol (Blocadren)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- slow or uneven heartbeats;
- feeling light-headed, fainting;
- feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;
- swelling of your ankles or feet;
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- depression; or
- cold feeling in your hands and feet.
Other less serious side effects are more likely to occur, such as:
- decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- tired feeling; or
- anxiety, nervousness.
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Blocadren (timolol) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about timolol (Blocadren)?
Do not stop taking timolol without first talking to your doctor. Stopping suddenly may make your condition worse.
If you need to have any type of surgery, you may need to temporarily stop using timolol. Be sure the surgeon knows ahead of time that you are using timolol.
Timolol can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.
Avoid drinking alcohol, which could increase drowsiness and dizziness while you are taking timolol.
Timolol is only part of a complete program of treatment for hypertension that may also include diet, exercise, and weight control. Follow your diet, medication, and exercise routines very closely if you are being treated for hypertension.
Hypertension often has no symptoms, so you may not even feel that you have high blood pressure. Continue using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
Additional Blocadren Information
- Blocadren Drug Interactions Center: timolol maleate oral
- Blocadren Side Effects Center
- Blocadren Overview including Precautions
- Blocadren FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Blocadren - User Reviews
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.