Blood in Semen Symptoms
Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Blood in semen (ejaculate) is also called hematospermia. Blood in semen can be caused by many conditions affecting the tubes that distribute semen from the testicles (seminal vesicles) or the prostate gland. The most common cause of blood in semen is inflammation of the seminal vesicles or prostate gland. Blood in the semen can temporarily be caused by injury to the prostate gland, such as from prostate biopsy.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Main Article on Blood in Semen
Causes of Blood in Semen
In This ArticleHuman Immunodeficiency Virus Article
- HIV facts
- What is the history of HIV, and when was HIV discovered?
- What tests are used in the diagnosis of HIV?
- How is HIV transmitted (spread)?
- What happens after an exposure to the blood or genital secretions of an HIV-infected person?
- What are HIV symptoms and signs in men, women, and children?
- What laboratory tests are used to monitor HIV-infected people?
- What are the key principles in managing HIV infection?
- Should patients with the flu- or mono-like illness of primary HIV infection be treated?
- What about treatment for HIV during pregnancy?
- What can be done for people who have severe immunosuppression?
- What is the future for HIV-infected individuals with regards to treatment simplification and cure research?
- What is in the future for preventing HIV transmission?
In This ArticleProstate Cancer Article
- Prostate cancer facts
- What is the prostate gland?
- What is prostate cancer?
- Why is prostate cancer important?
- What are prostate cancer causes?
- What are prostate cancer symptoms and signs?
- What are the screening tests for prostate cancer?
- What are false positive elevations in the PSA test?
- What refinements have been made in the PSA test?
- How is prostate cancer diagnosed and graded?
- How is the staging of prostate cancer done?
- What are the treatment options for prostate cancer?
- What about prostate cancer surgery?
- What about radiation therapy for prostate cancer?
- What about hormonal treatment for prostate cancer?
- What is cryotherapy for prostate cancer?
- What is HIFU for prostate cancer?
- What is chemotherapy for prostate cancer?
- What are the differences between hormonal treatment and chemotherapy?
- What about herbal or other alternative medicine treatments for prostate cancer?
- What is active surveillance for prostate cancer?
- Can prostate cancer be prevented?
- What will be the future treatments for prostate cancer?
- Controversy in prostate cancer today
In This ArticleProstatitis Article
- What is the prostate gland?
- What is prostatitis?
- What are the types and symptoms of prostatitis?
- Acute bacterial prostatitis causes and symptoms
- Chronic bacterial prostatitis causes and symptoms
- Chronic prostatitis without infection causes and symptoms
- Asymptomatic inflammatory prostatitis causes and symptoms
- How is prostatitis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for prostatitis?
- What is the prognosis for prostatitis?
In This ArticleSchistosomiasis Article
- What is schistosomiasis?
- What causes schistosomiasis?
- What are the symptoms and signs of schistosomiasis?
- How is schistosomiasis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for schistosomiasis?
- When should people with schistosomiasis seek medical care?
- What are the complications of schistosomiasis?
- Can schistosomiasis be prevented?
- What is the prognosis (outcome) for schistosomiasis?
- Schistosomiasis At A Glance
In This ArticleSTDs in Men Article
- What are sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Who is at risk for STDs?
- What causes STDs?
- What are the signs and symptoms of STDs?
- List of STDs in men
- Genital herpes
- Genital warts (HPV)
- How are STDs diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for STDs?
- What is the prognosis for STDs?
- Can STDs be prevented?
In This ArticleTuberculosis Article
- Tuberculosis facts
- What is tuberculosis?
- How does a person get TB?
- What happens to the body when a person gets TB?
- How common is TB, and who gets it?
- What are the symptoms and signs of tuberculosis?
- How does a doctor diagnose tuberculosis?
- Is there a vaccine against tuberculosis?
- What is the treatment for tuberculosis?
- What is drug-resistant TB?
- What's in the future for TB?
Other Causes of Blood in Semen
- Bleeding Disorders
- Cancer of the Seminal Vesicle (Rare)
- Cyst of Urethra
- Cysts of the Seminal Vesicle or Prostate
- Prostate Biopsy
- Prostate Stones
- Prostate Telangiectasia (Widened Capillaries)
- Prostate Varices (Widened Veins)
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.