Bloody Nose Symptoms
Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
The nose is a part of the body that is very rich in blood vessels (vascular) and is situated in a vulnerable position on the face. As a result, any trauma to the face can cause a bloody nose, and bleeding may be profuse. Nosebleeds can occur spontaneously when the nasal membranes dry out, crust, and crack, as is common in dry climates, or during the winter months when the air is dry and warm from household heaters. People are more susceptible if they are taking medications that prevent normal blood clotting (Coumadin, warfarin, aspirin, or any anti-inflammatory medication). Other predisposing factors include infection, trauma, allergic and non-allergic rhinitis, hypertension, alcohol abuse, and inherited bleeding problems.
To stop a nosebleed, you should: 1. Pinch all the soft parts of the nose together between your thumb and index finger. 2. Press firmly toward the face - compressing the pinched parts of the nose against the bones of the face. 3. Hold the nose for at least 5 minutes (timed by the clock). Repeat as necessary until the nose has stopped bleeding. 4. Sit quietly, keeping the head higher than the level of the heart; that is, sit up or lie with the head elevated. Do not lay flat or put your head between your legs. 5. Apply ice (crushed in a plastic bag or washcloth) to nose and cheeks.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Main Article on Bloody Nose
Causes of Bloody Nose
In This ArticleCocaine and Crack Abuse Article
- Cocaine and crack abuse facts
- What is cocaine? What is crack?
- How is cocaine abused?
- What are cocaine's effects on the body and the mind?
- What causes and prevents cocaine abuse and addiction?
- What are symptoms and signs of cocaine abuse and addiction?
- How is cocaine addiction diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for cocaine and crack addiction?
- What are symptoms and signs of cocaine withdrawal?
- What are the long-term effects and the prognosis for cocaine and crack addiction?
- Where can people find more information about cocaine and crack abuse?
In This ArticleHay Fever Article
- What is hay fever? What are the symptoms and signs?
- Why does an allergic reaction occur?
- What causes allergic rhinitis?
- When and where does allergic rhinitis occur?
- How is allergic rhinitis diagnosed, and how are allergies identified?
- How are allergies treated?
- Hay Fever At A Glance
In This ArticleIdiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP) Article
- What is idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)?
- What are the types of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura?
- What are the causes of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)?
- What are the risk factors for idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)?
- What are the symptoms and signs for idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)?
- How is idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura diagnosed (ITP)?
- What are the treatments for idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)?
- How can idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura be prevented (ITP)?
- Living with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)
- What is the outlook for idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)?
- What are other names for idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)?
- Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP) At A Glance
In This ArticleSinus Infection Article
- Sinus infection facts
- What is a sinus?
- What is a sinus infection?
- What causes sinus infections?
- What are the types of sinusitis?
- What are the signs and symptoms of sinus infection?
- How is sinus infection diagnosed?
- How is sinus infection treated?
- Are there home remedies for a sinus infection?
- What are complications of sinus infection?
- Can sinus infection be prevented?
- Related sinus infection article:
Sinus infection - on eMedicineHealth
In This ArticleWegener's Granulomatosis Article
- What is Wegener's granulomatosis?
- What are symptoms of Wegener's granulomatosis?
- How is Wegener's granulomatosis diagnosed?
- How is Wegener's granulomatosis treated?
- Wegener's Granulomatosis At A Glance
In This ArticleYellow Fever Article
- What is yellow fever? What is the history of yellow fever?
- What causes yellow fever?
- How is yellow fever transmitted?
- What areas are high-risk for contracting yellow fever?
- What is the incubation period for yellow fever?
- What are yellow fever symptoms and signs?
- How is yellow fever diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for yellow fever?
- What is the prognosis for people with yellow fever?
- Can yellow fever be prevented?
- Where can people get more information on yellow fever?
- Yellow Fever At A Glance
Other Causes of Bloody Nose
- Bleeding Disorders
- Dry Air
- Medications (Both Prescription and Nonprescription)
- Rare Tumors Involving Nasal Passages
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.