"A new consumer-friendly form ( is now available for making reports to MedWatch, the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) on-line system for collecting information about serious problems with drugs, medical devices and other FDA-"...
BLOXIVERZ is a cholinesterase inhibitor indicated for the reversal of the effects of non-depolarizing neuromuscular blocking agents after surgery.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
Important Dosage Information
BLOXIVERZ should be administered by trained healthcare providers familiar with the use, actions, characteristics, and complications of neuromuscular blocking agents (NMBA) and neuromuscular block reversal agents. Doses of BLOXIVERZ should be individualized, and a peripheral nerve stimulator should be used to determine the time of initiation of BLOXIVERZ and should be used to determine the need for additional doses.
Prior to BLOXIVERZ administration and up until complete recovery of normal ventilation, the patient should be well ventilated and a patent airway maintained. Satisfactory recovery should be judged by adequacy of skeletal muscle tone and respiratory measurements in addition to the response to peripheral nerve stimulation.
Dosage in Adults
- Peripheral nerve stimulation devices capable of delivering a train-of-four (TOF) stimulus are essential to effectively using BLOXIVERZ.
- There must be a twitch response to the first stimulus in the TOF of at least 10% of its baseline level, i.e., the response prior to NMBA administration, prior to the administration of BLOXIVERZ.
- Prior to administration, visually inspect BLOXIVERZ for particulate matter and discoloration.
- BLOXIVERZ should be injected slowly by intravenous route over a period of at least 1 minute.
- A 0.03 mg/kg to 0.07 mg/kg dose of BLOXIVERZ will
generally achieve a TOF twitch ratio of 90% (TOF0.9) within 10 to 20 minutes of
administration. Dose selection should be based on the extent of spontaneous
recovery that has occurred at the time of administration, the half-life of the
NMBA being reversed, and whether there is a need to rapidly reverse the NMBA.
The 0.03 mg/kg dose is recommended for:
- Reversal of NMBAs with shorter half-lives, e.g., rocuronium, or
- When the first twitch response to the TOF stimulus is substantially greater than 10% of baseline or when a second twitch is present.
- NMBAs with longer half-lives, e.g., vecuronium and pancuronium, or
- When the first twitch response is relatively weak, i.e., not substantially greater than 10% of baseline or
- There is need for more rapid recovery.
- TOF monitoring should continue to be used to evaluate the extent of recovery of neuromuscular function and the possible need for an additional dose of BLOXIVERZ.
- TOF monitoring alone should not be relied upon to determine the adequacy of reversal of neuromuscular blockade as related to a patient's ability to adequately ventilate and maintain a patent airway following tracheal extubation.
- Patients should continue to be monitored for adequacy of reversal from NMBAs for a period of time that would assure full recovery based on the patient's medical condition and the pharmacokinetics of neostigmine and the NMBA used.
- The recommended maximum total dose is 0.07 mg/kg or up to a total of 5 mg, whichever is less.
Dosage in Pediatric Patients, including Neonates
Adult guidelines should be followed when BLOXIVERZ is administered to pediatric patients. Pediatric patients require BLOXIVERZ doses similar to tho se for adult patients.
Anticholinergic (Atropine or Glycopyrrolate) Administration
An anticholinergic agent, e.g., atropine sulfate or glycopyrrolate, s hould be administered prior to or concomitantly with BLOXIVERZ. The anticholinergic agent should be administered intravenously using a separate syringe. In the presence of bradycardia, it is recommended that the anticholinergic agent be administered prior to BLOXIVERZ.
Dosage Forms And Strengths
BLOXIVERZ is available as
- Injection: 0.5 mg/mL, 5 mg of neostigmine methylsulfate in 10 mL multiple-dose vials
- Injection: 1 mg/mL, 10 mg of neostigmine methylsulfate in 10 mL multiple-dose vials
Storage And Handling
BLOXIVERZ (Neostigmine Methylsulfate Injection, USP) is available in the following:
|NDC No.||Strength||Vial Size|
|76014-002-33||0.5 mg/mL||10 mL multiple-dose vials supplied in packages of 10|
|76014-003-33||1 mg/mL||10 mL multiple-dose vials supplied in packages of 10|
The vial stopper is not made with natural rubber latex.
BLOXIVERZ should be stored at 20° to 25°C (68° to 77°F); excursions permitted to 15° to 30°C (59° to 86°F) (see USP Controlled Room Temperature). Protect from light. Store in carton until time of use.
Manufactured for: Eclat Pharmaceuticals, Chesterfield, MO 63005 USA. Revised: May 2013
Last reviewed on RxList: 6/14/2013
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Bloxiverz Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.