Breast Augmentation (cont.)
In this Article
- Breast augmentation facts
- What is breast augmentation?
- How is the incision made?
- What are smooth and textured implants?
- What are the options for implant size?
- What are risks and complications of breast augmentation?
- How long do implants last?
- Find a local Plastic Surgeon in your town
How long do implants last?
It is not known how long implants will last. In the body, the wall of the implant may weaken and become disrupted. This is more likely when there is an impact injury, such as from the steering wheel of a car or fall. The implant may or may not last a lifetime and depends upon the manufacturing process and other, as yet, unknown factors.
Most patients are extremely happy with breast augmentation. There is a certain amount of increased self esteem and self confidence which may result.
The patient who desires augmentation should not be influenced by family or friends as to whether or not the surgery should be performed and what size is most desirable. This is a very personal matter to most patients and satisfaction is best when the patient makes the decisions.
Medically reviewed by Michael J. Wheatley, MD; American Board of Plastic Surgery
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.