"Sometimes the juice ain't worth the squeeze... especially when combining grapefruit with medicines.
While it can be part of a balanced and nutritious diet, grapefruit can have serious consequences when taken with certain medications. Cu"...
Brevital Sodium Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Brevital Sodium
Generic Name: methohexital (Pronunciation: METH oh HEX i tal)
- What is methohexital (Brevital Sodium)?
- What are the possible side effects of methohexital (Brevital Sodium)?
- What is the most important information I should know about methohexital (Brevital Sodium)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before receiving methohexital (Brevital Sodium)?
- How is methohexital given (Brevital Sodium)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Brevital Sodium)?
- What happens if I overdose (Brevital Sodium)?
- What should I avoid after receiving methohexital (Brevital Sodium)?
- What other drugs will affect methohexital (Brevital Sodium)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is methohexital (Brevital Sodium)?
Methohexital is a barbiturate (bar-BIT-chur-ate). Methohexital slows the activity of your brain and nervous system.
Methohexital is used to make you fall asleep before a surgery or other medical procedure. It is usually given in combination with other types of anesthesia.
Methohexital may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of methohexital (Brevital Sodium)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Tell your caregivers at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- severe burning or swelling where the medicine was injected;
- seizure (convulsions);
- numbness or tingly feeling;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- fast heart rate;
- weak or shallow breathing; or
- confusion, anxiety, or restless feeling when coming out of anesthesia.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain;
- chills or shivering;
- coughing, hiccups;
- muscle twitching; or
- mild skin rash or itching.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Brevital Sodium (methohexital sodium for injection) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about methohexital (Brevital Sodium)?
You should not receive this medication if you have porphyria, or if you are allergic to methohexital or similar medications such as amobarbital (Amytal), butabarbital (Butisol), mephobarbital (Mebaral), secobarbital (Seconal), or phenobarbital (Solfoton).
Before receiving methohexital, tell your doctor if you have a seizure disorder, asthma or COPD, anemia, an endocrine disorder, liver disease, high or low blood pressure, heart disease, congestive heart failure, or circulation problems.
This medication may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Drowsiness may last for several hours. You will need someone to drive you home from after you receive methohexital.
Avoid drinking alcohol just after receiving methohexital.
Additional Brevital Sodium Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.