"Nov. 7, 2014 -- Saturated fat in red meat has long been linked to heart disease. But new research suggests it might not be the only culprit.
Bacteria in the intestines convert carnitine, a protein building block that's especially pl"...
Brilinta Patient Information including If I Miss a Dose
In this Article
- What is ticagrelor (Brilinta)?
- What are the possible side effects of ticagrelor (Brilinta)?
- What is the most important information I should know about ticagrelor (Brilinta)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking ticagrelor (Brilinta)?
- How should I take ticagrelor (Brilinta)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Brilinta)?
- What happens if I overdose (Brilinta)?
- What should I avoid while taking ticagrelor (Brilinta)?
- What other drugs will affect ticagrelor (Brilinta)?
- Where can I get more information?
What happens if I miss a dose (Brilinta)?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose (Brilinta)?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222. Overdose can cause excessive bleeding.
What should I avoid while taking ticagrelor (Brilinta)?
While you are taking ticagrelor, do not take aspirin or other NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) without your doctor's advice. NSAIDs include ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn, Naprelan, Treximet), celecoxib (Celebrex), diclofenac (Cataflam, Voltaren), indomethacin (Indocin), meloxicam (Mobic), and others.
Avoid activities that may increase your risk of bleeding or injury. Use extra care to prevent bleeding while shaving or brushing your teeth.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It may increase your risk of bleeding in your stomach or intestines.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before using any cold, allergy, pain, or sleep medication. Aspirin (sometimes abbreviated as ASA) is contained in many combination medicines. Taking certain products together can cause you to get too much aspirin which can increase your risk of bleeding. Check the label to see if a medicine contains aspirin or ASA.
What other drugs will affect ticagrelor (Brilinta)?
Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use, especially:
- dexamethasone (Cortastat, Dexasone, Solurex, DexPak);
- digoxin (Lanoxin);
- an antibiotic such as clarithromycin (Biaxin), erythromycin (E.E.S., EryPed, Ery-Tab, Erythrocin, Pediazole), rifabutin (Mycobutin), rifampin (Rifadin, Rifater, Rifamate), or telithromycin (Ketek);
- antifungal medicine such as itraconazole (Sporanox), ketoconazole (Nizoral), miconazole (Oravig), or voriconazole (Vfend);
- a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven);
- cholesterol-lowering medications such as lovastatin (Mevacor, Altoprev, Advicor) or simvastatin (Zocor, Simcor, Vytorin);
- heart or blood pressure medication such as nicardipine (Cardene) or quinidine (Quin-G);
- HIV or AIDS medication such as atazanavir (Reyataz), delavirdine (Rescriptor), efavirenz (Sustiva, Atripla), etravirine (Intelence), indinavir (Crixivan), nelfinavir (Viracept), nevirapine (Viramune), ritonavir (Norvir, Kaletra), or saquinavir (Invirase); or
- seizure medication such as carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Equetro, Tegretol), felbamate (Felbatol), oxcarbazepine (Trileptal), phenobarbital (Solfoton), phenytoin (Dilantin), or primidone (Mysoline).
There may be other drugs that can interact with ticagrelor. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor.
Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about ticagrelor.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2013 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 1.01. Revision date: 10/16/2011.
Your use of the content provided in this service indicates that you have read,understood and agree to the End-User License Agreement,which can be accessed by clicking on this link.
Additional Brilinta Information
- Brilinta Drug Interactions Center: ticagrelor oral
- Brilinta Side Effects Center
- Brilinta FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.