"On December 21, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Uptravi (selexipag) tablets to treat adults with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH), a chronic, progressive, and debilitating rare lung disease that can lead to death or the need f"...
(arformoterol tartrate) Inhalation Solution
BROVANA is only for use with a nebulizer.
Read the Medication Guide that comes with BROVANA before you start using it and each time you get a refill. There may be new information. This Medication Guide does not take the place of talking to your healthcare provider about your medical condition or treatment.
What is the most important information I should know about BROVANA?
BROVANA can cause serious side effects, including:
- People with asthma, who take long-acting beta2-adrenergic agonist (LABA) medicines, such as BROVANA, have an increased risk of death from asthma problems.
- It is not known if LABA medicines, such as BROVANA, increase the risk of death in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Get emergency medical care if:
- breathing problems worsen quickly
- you use your res cue inhaler medicine, but it does not relieve your breathing problems
What is BROVANA?
BROVANA is used long term, 2 times each day (morning and evening), in controlling symptoms of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in adults with COPD.
BROVANA is only for use with a nebulizer.
BROVANA should not be used in children. It is not known if BROVANA is safe and effective in children.
It is not known if BROVANA is safe and effective in people with asthma.
Who should not use BROVANA?
Do not use BROVANA if you:
- have had a serious allergic reaction to arformoterol, formoterol, or any of the ingredients in BROVANA. Ask your healthcare provider if you are not sure. See the end of this Medication Guide for a complete list of ingredients in BROVANA.
- have asthma without using a long-term asthma control medicine.
What should I tell my healthcare provider before using BROVANA?
Tell your healthcare provider about all of your health conditions, including if you:
- have heart problems
- have high blood pressure
- have seizures
- have thyroid problems
- have diabetes
- have liver problems
- are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. It is not known if BROVANA can harm your unborn baby.
- are breastfeeding. It is not known if BROVANA passes into your milk and if it can harm your baby.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins and herbal supplements. BROVANA and certain other medicines may interact with each other. This may cause serious side effects.
Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them to show your healthcare provider and pharmacist each time you get a new medicine.
How should I use BROVANA?
Read the step-by-step instructions for using BROVANA at the end of this Medication Guide.
- Use BROVANA exactly as prescribed. One ready-to-use vial of BROVANA is one dose. The usual dose of BROVANA is 1 ready-to-use vial, twice a day (morning and evening) breathed in through your nebulizer machine. The 2 doses should be about 12 hours apart. Do not use more than 2 ready-to-use vials of BROVANA a day.
- Do not swallow or inject BROVANA.
- BROVANA is for use with a standard jet nebulizer machine connected to an air compressor. Read the complete instructions for use at the end of this Medication Guide before starting BROVANA.
- Do not mix other medicines with BROVANA in your nebulizer machine.
- If you miss a dose of BROVANA, just skip that dose. Take your next dose at your usual time. Do not take 2 doses at one time.
- While you are using BROVANA 2 times each day:
- do not use other medicines that contain a long-acting beta2-agonist (LABA) for any reason.
- do not use your short-acting beta2-agonist medicine on a regular basis (four times a day).
- BROVANA does not relieve sudden symptoms of COPD. Always have a rescue inhaler medicine with you to treat sudden symptoms. If you do not have a rescue inhaler medicine, call your healthcare provider to have one prescribed for you.
- Do not stop using BROVANA or other medicines to control or treat your COPD unless told to do so by your healthcare provider because your symptoms might get worse. Your healthcare provider will change your medicines as needed.
- Do not use BROVANA:
- more often than prescribed
- more medicine than prescribed to you
- with other LABA medicines
Call your healthcare provider or get emergency medical care right away if:
- your breathing problems worsen with BROVANA
- you need to use your rescue inhaler medicine more often than usual
- your rescue inhaler medicine does not work as well for you at relieving symptoms
What are the possible side effects with BROVANA?
BROVANA can cause serious side effects, including:
- See “What is the most important information I should know about BROVANA?”
- Sudden shortness of breath immediately after use of BROVANA
- If your COPD symptoms worsen over time, do not increase your dose of BROVANA; instead, call
- your healthcare provider.
- Increased blood pressure
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- serious allergic reactions including rash, hives , swelling of the face, mouth, and tongue, and breathing problems . Call your healthcare provider or get emergency medical care if you get any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction.
Common side effects of BROVANA include:
- chest or back pain
- sinus congestion
- leg cramps
- high blood potassium
- shortness of breath
- increased white blood cells
- legs welling
- chest congestion or bronchitis
Tell your healthcare provider if you get any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
These are not all the side effects with BROVANA. Ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist for more information. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
How should I store BROVANA?
- Store BROVANA in a refrigerator between 36° to 46°F (2° to 8°C) in the protective foil pouch. Protect from light and excessive heat. Do not open a sealed pouch until you are ready to use a dose of BROVANA. After opening the pouch, unused ready-to-use vials should be returned to, and stored in, the pouch. An opened ready-to-use vial should be used right away. BROVANA may be used directly from the refrigerator.
- BROVANA may also be stored at room temperature between 68° to 77°F (20° to 25°C) for up to 6 weeks (42 days). If stored at room temperature, discard BROVANA if it is not used after 6 weeks or if past the expiration date, whichever is sooner. Space is provided on the packaging to record room temperature storage times.
- Do not use BROVANA after the expiration date provided on the foil pouch and ready-to-use vial.
- BROVANA should be colorless. Discard BROVANA if it is not colorless.
- Keep BROVANA and all medicines out of the reach of children.
General Information about BROVANA
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes not mentioned in a Medication Guide. Do not use BROVANA for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give BROVANA to other people, even if they have the same condition. It may harm them.
This Medication Guide summarizes the most important information about BROVANA. If you would like more information, talk with your healthcare provider. You can ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist for information about BROVANA that was written for healthcare professionals.
- For customer service, call 1-888-394-7377.
- To report side effects, call 1-877-737-7226.
- For medical information, call 1-800-739-0565.
Instructions for Using BROVANA (arformoterol tartrate) Inhalation Solution
BROVANA is used only in a standard jet nebulizer machine connected to an air compressor. Make sure you know how to us e your nebulizer machine before you use it to breathe in BROVANA or other medicines.
Do not mix BROVANA with other medicines in your nebulizer machine.
BROVANA comes sealed in a foil pouch. Do not open a sealed pouch until you are ready to use a dose of BROVANA. After opening the pouch, unused ready-to-use vials should be returned to, and stored in, the pouch. An opened ready-to-use vial should be used right away.
1. Open the foil pouch by tearing on the rough edge along the seam of the pouch. Remove a ready-touse vial of BROVANA.
2. Carefully twist open the top of the ready-to-use vial and use it right away (Figure 1).
3. Squeeze all of the medicine from the ready-to-use vial into the nebulizer medicine cup (reservoir) (Figure 2).
4. Connect the nebulizer reservoir to the mouthpiece (Figure 3) or face mask (Figure 4).
Figure 3 and Figure 4
5. Connect the nebulizer to the compressor (Figure 5).
6. Sit in a comfortable, upright position. Place the mouthpiece in your mouth (Figure 6) (or put on the face mask) and turn on the compressor.
7. Breathe as calmly, deeply, and evenly as possible until no more mist is formed in the nebulizer reservoir. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes for each treatment.
8. Clean the nebulizer (see manufacturer's instructions).
Last reviewed on RxList: 7/21/2016
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Brovana Information
Brovana - User Reviews
Brovana User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.