"Potential drug treatments are tested on paper, in laboratories and eventually in thousands of people. But every drug that goes through this cycle â€“ every drug that FDA approves â€“ carries some risk. One of the first lines of defense against "...
Buphenyl Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Buphenyl
Generic Name: sodium phenylbutyrate (Pronunciation: SOE dee um FEN il BUE ti rate)
- What is sodium phenylbutyrate (Buphenyl)?
- What are the possible side effects of sodium phenylbutyrate (Buphenyl)?
- What is the most important information I should know about sodium phenylbutyrate (Buphenyl)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking sodium phenylbutyrate (Buphenyl)?
- How should I take sodium phenylbutyrate (Buphenyl)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Buphenyl)?
- What happens if I overdose (Buphenyl)?
- What should I avoid while taking sodium phenylbutyrate (Buphenyl)?
- What other drugs will affect sodium phenylbutyrate (Buphenyl)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is sodium phenylbutyrate (Buphenyl)?
Sodium phenylbutyrate is converted to a substance in the body that helps the kidneys eliminate waste substances from the body. These waste substances can produce ammonia, which is toxic if it builds up in your blood.
Sodium phenylbutyrate is used to treat urea cycle disorders in people who lack certain liver enzymes needed to properly eliminate waste substances from the body. This medication helps prevent a build-up of ammonia in the blood.
Sodium phenylbutyrate may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of sodium phenylbutyrate (Buphenyl)?
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using sodium phenylbutyrate and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- fast, slow, or uneven heart rate;
- swelling, rapid weight gain;
- feeling like you might pass out; or
- changes in mood, personality, or behavior.
Less serious side effects may include:
- changes in menstrual periods;
- loss of appetite;
- increased body odor;
- unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Buphenyl (sodium phenylbutyrate tablets) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects »
What is the most important information I should know about sodium phenylbutyrate (Buphenyl)?
Before taking sodium phenylbutyrate, tell your doctor if you have congestive heart failure, high blood pressure, severe kidney disease, swelling or fluid retention, or a seizure disorder.
Take this medication with each meal. Divide your total daily dose among all of your meals for the day.
Sodium phenylbutyrate is only part of a complete program of treatment that may also include diet, dialysis, or other medications. Follow your diet and medication routines very closely.
Do not give this medication to a child who weighs less than 44 pounds unless your doctor tells you to.
Additional Buphenyl Information
Buphenyl - User Reviews
Buphenyl User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.