"Dec. 14, 2012 -- Drinking a glass of beet juice may have an immediate impact on lowering blood pressure, according to a new study.
The study shows that within hours of drinking it, beet juice lowered systolic blood pressure (the top n"...
Caduet Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Caduet
Generic Name: amlodipine and atorvastatin (Pronunciation: am LOE di peen and a TOR va sta tin)
- What is amlodipine and atorvastatin (Caduet)?
- What are the possible side effects of amlodipine and atorvastatin (Caduet)?
- What is the most important information I should know about amlodipine and atorvastatin (Caduet)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking amlodipine and atorvastatin (Caduet)?
- How should I take amlodipine and atorvastatin (Caduet)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Caduet)?
- What happens if I overdose (Caduet)?
- What should I avoid while taking amlodipine and atorvastatin (Caduet)?
- What other drugs will affect amlodipine and atorvastatin (Caduet)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is amlodipine and atorvastatin (Caduet)?
Atorvastatin is in a group of drugs called HMG CoA reductase inhibitors, or "statins." Amlodipine and atorvastatin reduces levels of "bad" cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein, or LDL) and triglycerides in the blood, while increasing levels of "good" cholesterol (high-density lipoprotein, or HDL).
Amlodipine is in a group of drugs called calcium channel blockers. Amlodipine relaxes the blood vessels, improving blood flow and making it easier for the heart to pump.
The combination of amlodipine and atorvastatin is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) or chest pain (angina), and to lower the risk of stroke, heart attack, and other heart complications in people with type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease, or other risk factors.
Amlodipine and atorvastatin is used in adults and children who are at least 10 years old.
Amlodipine and atorvastatin may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Caduet 10-10 mg
oval, blue, imprinted with Pfizer, CDT 101
Caduet 10-20 mg
oval, blue, imprinted with Pfizer, CDT 102
Caduet 10-80 mg
oval, blue, imprinted with Pfizer, CDT 108
Caduet 5-10 mg
oval, white, imprinted with Pfizer, CDT 051
Caduet 5-20 mg
oval, white, imprinted with Pfizer, CDT 052
Caduet 5-40 mg
oval, white, imprinted with Pfizer, CDT 054
Caduet 5-80 mg
oval, white, imprinted with Pfizer, CDT 058
What are the possible side effects of amlodipine and atorvastatin (Caduet)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking this medicine and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness;
- fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine;
- swelling, weight gain, urinating less than usual or not at all;
- severe drowsiness, feeling like you might pass out;
- fast or pounding heartbeats;
- worsening chest pain;
- chest pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling; or
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild muscle pain;
- mild nausea;
- stomach pain or indigestion;
- joint pain; or
- flushing (warmth or redness in your face).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Caduet (amlodipine besylate, atorvastatin calcium) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about amlodipine and atorvastatin (Caduet)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to amlodipine (Norvasc) or atorvastatin (Lipitor), if you are pregnant or breast-feeding, or if you have liver disease.
Before taking amlodipine and atorvastatin, tell your doctor if you have ever had liver or kidney disease, heart disease, diabetes, or a thyroid disorder, or if you drink more than 2 alcoholic beverages daily.
In rare cases, amlodipine and atorvastatin can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness especially if you also have fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine.
Avoid eating foods that are high in fat or cholesterol. Amlodipine and atorvastatin will not be as effective in lowering your cholesterol if you do not follow a cholesterol-lowering diet plan.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can raise triglyceride levels and may increase your risk of liver damage.
There are many other drugs that can increase your risk of serious medical problems if you take them together with amlodipine and atorvastatin. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor. Keep a list of all your medicines and show it to any healthcare provider who treats you.
Amlodipine and atorvastatin is only part of a complete program of treatment that also includes diet, exercise, and weight control. Follow your diet, medication, and exercise routines very closely.
Additional Caduet Information
Caduet - User Reviews
Caduet User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get tips on handling your hypertension.