"July 10, 2015 -- Popular painkillers like ibuprofen and naproxen have carried warnings for years about potential risks of heart attacks and strokes. This week, the FDA decided to strengthen those warnings on the medications, known as nonsteroidal"...
(ibuprofen) in Water for Injection
RISK OF SERIOUS CARDIOVASCULAR AND GASTROINTESTINAL EVENTS
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) may increase the risk of serious cardiovascular (CV) thrombotic events, myocardial infarction, and stroke, which can be fatal. This risk may increase with duration of use. Patients with cardiovascular disease or risk factors for cardiovascular disease may be at greater risk [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
- Caldolor is contraindicated for the treatment of peri-operative pain in the setting of coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery [see CONTRAINDICATIONS and WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
- NSAIDs increase the risk of serious gastrointestinal (GI) adverse events including bleeding, ulceration, and perforation of the stomach or intestines, which can be fatal. These events can occur at any time during use and without warning symptoms. Elderly patients are at greater risk for serious gastrointestinal events [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
Caldolor contains the active ingredient ibuprofen, which is (±)-2-(p-isobutylphenyl) propionic acid. Ibuprofen is a white powder with a melting point of 74-77°C. It has a molecular weight of 206.28. It is very slightly soluble in water ( < 1 mg/mL) and readily soluble in organic solvents such as ethanol and acetone. The structural formula of ibuprofen is represented below:
Each 1 mL of solution contains 100 mg of ibuprofen in Water for Injection, USP. The product also contains 78 mg/mL arginine at a molar ratio of 0.92:1 arginine:ibuprofen. The solution pH is about 7.4.
Caldolor is sterile and is intended for intravenous administration only.
What are the possible side effects of ibuprofen (Caldolor)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Tell your caregivers at once if you have:
- chest pain, shortness of breath, sudden numbness or weakness, severe headache, slurred speech, problems with vision or balance;
- bloody or tarry stools, coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- swelling or rapid weight gain;
- little or no urinating;
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine,...
Last reviewed on RxList: 1/29/2014
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Caldolor Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.