"Since 2003, Multidata has been under a consent decree of permanent injunction that prohibits the company from designing, manufacturing, processing, and distributing medical devices, among other restrictions, according to the FDA.
DIARRHEA and MYELOSUPPRESSION
- Early and late forms of diarrhea can occur. Early diarrhea may be accompanied by cholinergic symptoms which may be prevented or ameliorated by atropine. Late diarrhea can be life threatening and should be treated promptly with loperamide. Monitor patients with diarrhea and give fluid and electrolytes as needed. Institute antibiotic therapy if patients developileus, fever, or severe neutropenia. Interrupt CAMPTOSAR and reduce subsequent doses if severe diarrhea occurs.
- Severe myelosuppression may occur.
CAMPTOSAR Injection (irinotecan hydrochloride injection) is an antineoplastic agent of the topoisomerase I inhibitor class.
CAMPTOSAR is supplied as a sterile, pale yellow, clear, aqueous solution. Each milliliter of solution contains 20 mg of irinotecan hydrochloride (on the basis of the trihydrate salt), 45 mg of sorbitol, NF, and 0.9 mg of lactic acid, USP. The pH of the solution has been adjusted to 3.5 (range, 3.0 to 3.8) with sodium hydroxide or hydrochloric acid. CAMPTOSAR is intended for dilution with 5% Dextrose Injection, USP (D5W), or 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP, prior to intravenous infusion. The preferred diluent is 5% Dextrose Injection, USP.
Irinotecan hydrochloride is a semisynthetic derivative of camptothecin, an alkaloid extract from plants such as Camptotheca acuminata or is chemically synthesized.
The chemical name is (S)-4,11-diethyl-3,4,12,14-tetrahydro-4-hydroxy-3,14-dioxo1Hpyrano[ 3',4':6,7]-indolizino[1,2-b]quinolin-9-yl-[1,4'bipiperidine]-1'-carboxylate,
monohydrochloride, trihydrate. Its empirical formula is C33H38N4O6•HCl•3H2O and molecular weight is 677.19. It is slightly soluble in water and organic solvents. Its structural formula is as follows:
What are the possible side effects of irinotecan (Camptosar)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- wheezing, feeling short of breath;
- chest pain, dry cough;
- pale skin, feeling light-headed, rapid heart rate, trouble concentrating;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, sores in your mouth and throat;
- runny nose, watery eyes, increased sweating, stomach cramps, and flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly...
What are the precautions when taking irinotecan hydrochloride (Camptosar Injection)?
Before using irinotecan, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this drug, tell your doctor your medical history, including: bowel blockage (e.g., paralytic ileus), certain genetic metabolism disorder (fructose intolerance), radiation treatments, blood/bone marrow disorders (e.g., low platelet/neutrophil/red blood cell levels), diabetes, liver disease, kidney disease, lung disease.
Before having surgery, tell your doctor or dentist that you are using this medication.
This drug may make you dizzy or drowsy or cause blurred vision. Do not drive, use machinery,...
Last reviewed on RxList: 11/8/2016
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Camptosar Injection Information
Camptosar Injection - User Reviews
Camptosar Injection User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.