"Jan. 29, 2013 -- Older women with heart problems may be at greater risk for mental changes that are thought to signal the beginnings of a type of dementia, a new study shows.
Called vascular dementia, it is a type of mental decline that"...
Capozide Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Capozide 25/15, Capozide 25/25, Capozide 50/15, Capozide 50/25
Generic Name: hydrochlorothiazide and captopril (Pronunciation: hye droe klor oh THY a zide and KAP toe pril)
- What is hydrochlorothiazide and captopril (Capozide)?
- What are the possible side effects of hydrochlorothiazide and captopril (Capozide)?
- What is the most important information I should know about hydrochlorothiazide and captopril (Capozide)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking hydrochlorothiazide and captopril (Capozide)?
- How should I take hydrochlorothiazide and captopril (Capozide)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Capozide)?
- What happens if I overdose (Capozide)?
- What should I avoid while taking hydrochlorothiazide and captopril (Capozide)?
- What other drugs will affect hydrochlorothiazide and captopril (Capozide)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is hydrochlorothiazide and captopril (Capozide)?
Hydrochlorothiazide is a thiazide diuretic (water pill) that helps prevent your body from absorbing too much salt, which can cause fluid retention.
Captopril is in a group of drugs called ACE inhibitors. ACE stands for angiotensin converting enzyme. Captopril lowers blood pressure and also relieves symptoms of fluid retention.
The combination of hydrochlorothiazide and captopril is used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure).
Hydrochlorothiazide and captopril may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Capozide 25-15 mg
square, white, imprinted with CAPOZIDE 25/15
round, white, imprinted with M 81
round, peach, imprinted with M 83
oblong, white, imprinted with M 84
oblong, peach, imprinted with M 86
Captopril-Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg-15 mg-TEV
round, white, imprinted with 93 176
Captopril-Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg-25 mg-TEV
round, pink, imprinted with 93 177
Captopril-Hydrochlorothiazide 50 mg-15 mg-TEV
oval, white, imprinted with 93 181
Captopril-Hydrochlorothiazide 50 mg-25 mg-TEV
oval, white, imprinted with 93 182
What are the possible side effects of hydrochlorothiazide and captopril (Capozide)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; severe stomach pain; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- eye pain, vision problems;
- high potassium (slow heart rate, weak pulse, muscle weakness, tingly feeling);
- low potassium (confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling);
- dry mouth, thirst, nausea, vomiting;
- feeling weak, drowsy, restless, or light-headed;
- a red, blistering, peeling skin rash;
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- swelling, weight gain, feeling short of breath; or
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dizziness, headache, tired feeling;
- blurred vision;
- diarrhea, constipation, upset stomach; or
- mild skin rash, increased sweating.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Capozide (captopril and hydrochlorothiazide) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about hydrochlorothiazide and captopril (Capozide)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to hydrochlorothiazide or captopril, or if you have a history of asthma or allergies, or you are unable to urinate.
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to any other ACE inhibitor, such as benazepril (Lotensin), fosinopril (Monopril), enalapril (Vasotec), lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril), moexipril (Univasc), perindopril (Aceon), quinapril (Accupril), ramipril (Altace), or trandolapril (Mavik).
Before taking hydrochlorothiazide and captopril, tell your doctor if you have kidney disease (or are on dialysis), liver disease, glaucoma, congestive heart failure, gout, lupus, diabetes, or an allergy to sulfa drugs or penicillin.
Do not use hydrochlorothiazide and captopril if you are pregnant. It could harm the unborn baby.
Do not use potassium supplements or salt substitutes while you are taking hydrochlorothiazide and captopril, unless your doctor has told you to.
Conditions that may cause very low blood pressure include: vomiting, diarrhea, heavy sweating, heart disease, dialysis, a low-salt diet, or taking diuretics (water pills). Follow your doctor's instructions about the type and amount of liquids you should drink while taking hydrochlorothiazide and captopril. Tell your doctor if you have a prolonged illness that causes diarrhea or vomiting.
Additional Capozide Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.