"SILVER SPRING, MD ‚Ä” Using the antiplatelet clopidogrel with aspirin for over a year doesn't increase or decrease risk of overall death in patients with CHD or who are at risk for developing the disease‚Ä”and it doesn't change the risk of cancer dea"...
Carbocaine Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Carbocaine, Carbocaine HCl, Polocaine, Polocaine-MPF
Generic Name: mepivacaine (Pronunciation: me PIV a kane)
- What is mepivacaine (Carbocaine)?
- What are the possible side effects of mepivacaine (Carbocaine)?
- What is the most important information I should know about mepivacaine (Carbocaine)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before receiving mepivacaine (Carbocaine)?
- How is mepivacaine given (Carbocaine)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Carbocaine)?
- What happens if I overdose (Carbocaine)?
- What should I avoid after receiving mepivacaine (Carbocaine)?
- What other drugs will affect mepivacaine (Carbocaine)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is mepivacaine (Carbocaine)?
Mepivacaine is an anesthetic (numbing medicine) that blocks the nerve impulses that send pain signals to your brain.
Mepivacaine is used as a local (in only one area) anesthetic for an epidural or spinal block. It is also used as an anesthetic for dental procedures.
Mepivacaine may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of mepivacaine (Carbocaine)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling or puffiness of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Tell your caregivers at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- weak or shallow breathing;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- sweating, anxiety, confusion;
- blurred vision, ringing in your ears;
- numbness or tingling around your mouth;
- slow heart rate, weak pulse;
- metallic taste in your mouth;
- tremors, muscle twitching; or
- seizure (convulsions).
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting;
- dizziness; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Carbocaine (mepivacaine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about mepivacaine (Carbocaine)?
You should not receive mepivacaine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to any type of numbing medicine.
Before receiving this medication, tell your doctor if you have liver disease, kidney disease, high or low blood pressure, asthma or a sulfite allergy, a history of heart disease or stroke, heart block or coronary artery disease, a heart rhythm disorder, or a thyroid disorder.
This medication can cause numbness for an extended period of time. Avoid eating, chewing gum, or drinking hot liquids until the feeling in your mouth has returned completely. Chewing while your mouth is numb could result in a bite injury to your tongue, lips, or inside of your cheek.
Spinal numbing medications can have long-lasting or permanent effects on certain body processes such as sexual function, bowel or bladder control, and movement or feeling in your legs or feet. Talk with your doctor about your specific risk of nerve damage from mepivacaine.
Additional Carbocaine Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.