Caring for Teeth With Braces or Retainers (cont.)
In this Article
- Special brushing and flossing instructions
- Foods to avoid while wearing braces
- Caring for retainers
- Playing sports while wearing braces
- What to do if a bracket or wire breaks
- Other problems
- Find a local Doctor in your town
Because braces brush up against the inside surface of your mouth, you may be more prone to developing canker sores. If a canker sore develops, your orthodontist or dentist may prescribe a corticosteroid ointment or a prescription or nonprescription pain-reliever solution to reduce the pain and irritation and help heal the sore.
Reviewed by the doctors at The Cleveland Clinic Department of Dentistry.
Reviewed by Jay H. Rosoff, DDS, on March 1, 2007
Edited by Charlotte E. Grayson, MD, on May 1, 2005.
Portions of this page © The Cleveland Clinic 2000-2005
Last Editorial Review: 6/20/2008
WebMD Oral Health
Get tips for a healthy mouth.