Caring for Teeth With Braces or Retainers (cont.)
In this Article
- Special brushing and flossing instructions
- Foods to avoid while wearing braces
- Caring for retainers
- Playing sports while wearing braces
- What to do if a bracket or wire breaks
- Other problems
- Find a local Doctor in your town
Because braces brush up against the inside surface of your mouth, you may be more prone to developing canker sores. If a canker sore develops, your orthodontist or dentist may prescribe a corticosteroid ointment or a prescription or nonprescription pain-reliever solution to reduce the pain and irritation and help heal the sore.
Reviewed by the doctors at The Cleveland Clinic Department of Dentistry.
Last Editorial Review: 6/20/2008
WebMD Oral Health
Get tips for a healthy mouth.