"What are anxiety medications and how do they work?
Anxiety is a normal and useful response to potentially stressful or dangerous situations. It increases our awareness of what's going on around us. For most people, anxiety is short liv"...
Catapres Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Catapres, Kapvay, Kapvay Dose Pack
Generic Name: clonidine (oral) (Pronunciation: KLOE ni deen)
- What is clonidine (Catapres)?
- What are the possible side effects of clonidine (Catapres)?
- What is the most important information I should know about clonidine (Catapres)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking clonidine (Catapres)?
- How should I take clonidine (Catapres)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Catapres)?
- What happens if I overdose (Catapres)?
- What should I avoid while taking clonidine (Catapres)?
- What other drugs will affect clonidine (Catapres)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is clonidine (Catapres)?
Clonidine lowers blood pressure by decreasing the levels of certain chemicals in your blood. This allows your blood vessels to relax and your heart to beat more slowly and easily.
Clonidine is used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure). The Kapvay brand of clonidine is used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
Clonidine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Catapres 0.1 mg
oval, tan, imprinted with Bl6
Catapres 0.2 mg
oval, orange, imprinted with BI7
Catapres 0.3 mg
oval, peach, imprinted with BI11
Clonidine 0.1 mg-ESI
round, blue, imprinted with LL, C 42
Clonidine 0.1 mg-MUT
round, yellow, imprinted with MP 657
Clonidine 0.1 mg-MYL
round, white, imprinted with MYLAN 152
Clonidine 0.1 mg-PUR
round, orange, imprinted with R127
Clonidine 0.2 mg-MUT
round, white, imprinted with MP 658
Clonidine 0.2 mg-MYL
round, white, imprinted with MYLAN 186
Clonidine 0.2 mg-PUR
round, orange, imprinted with 128, R
Clonidine 0.3 mg-MUT
round, green, imprinted with MP 659
Clonidine 0.3 mg-MYL
round, white, imprinted with MYLAN 199
What are the possible side effects of clonidine (Catapres)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have:
- fast or pounding heartbeats, tremors;
- a very slow heart rate (fewer than 60 beats per minute);
- feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;
- swelling, rapid weight gain;
- confusion, hallucinations;
- flu symptoms;
- urination problems; or
- feeling like you might pass out.
Other common side effects may include:
- drowsiness, dizziness;
- feeling tired or irritable;
- cold symptoms such as runny or stuffy nose, sneezing, cough, sore throat;
- mood changes;
- sleep problems (insomnia), nightmares;
- headache, ear pain;
- mild fever;
- feeling hot;
- constipation, diarrhea, pain in your upper stomach;
- dry mouth, increased thirst; or
- loss of interest in sex, impotence, difficulty having an orgasm.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Catapres (clonidine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about clonidine (Catapres)?
Before you take clonidine, tell your doctor if you have heart disease or severe coronary artery disease, a heart rhythm disorder, slow heartbeats, low blood pressure, a history of heart attack or stroke, kidney disease, or if you have ever had an allergic reaction to a clonidine transdermal skin patch (Catapres TTS).
Do not take two forms of clonidine at the same time.
If you need surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time that you are using clonidine. You may need to stop using the medicine for a short time.
Do not stop using clonidine suddenly, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Ask your doctor how to safely stop using clonidine.
If you are being treated for high blood pressure, keep using this medication even if you feel well. High blood pressure often has no symptoms. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
Clonidine may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Additional Catapres Information
Catapres - User Reviews
Catapres User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on handling your hypertension.