"Nov. 1, 2012 -- Having even mildly elevated blood pressure at midlife prematurely ages the brain, a new study shows.
Researchers say the early changes seen with higher blood pressure may set the stage for problems with thinking, memor"...
- Patient Information:
Details with Side Effects
Transdermal Therapeutic System
(Read the following instructions carefully before using this medication. If you have any questions, please consult with your doctor.)
Catapres-TTS (clonidine) transdermal therapeutic system is a square, tan adhesive patch containing an active blood-pressure-lowering medication. It is designed to deliver the drug into the body through the skin smoothly and consistently for one full week. Normal exposure to water, as in showering, bathing, and swimming, should not affect the patch.
The optional white, round adhesive cover should be applied directly over the patch, should the patch begin to separate from the skin. The adhesive cover ensures that the patch sticks to the skin. The Catapres-TTS (clonidine) patch must be replaced with a new one on a fresh skin site if the one in use significantly loosens or falls off.
Skin burns have been reported at the patch site in several patients wearing an aluminized transdermal system during a magnetic resonance imaging scan (MRI). Because the Catapres-TTS (clonidine) patch contains aluminum, it is recommended to remove the system before undergoing an MRI.
How to Apply the Catapres-TTS (clonidine) Patch
1) Apply the square, tan Catapres-TTS (clonidine) patch once a week, preferably at a convenient time on the same day of the week (i.e., prior to bedtime on Tuesday of week one; prior to bedtime on Tuesday of week two, etc.).
2) Select a hairless area such as on the upper, outer arm or upper chest. The area chosen should be free of cuts, abrasions, irritation, scars or calluses and should not be shaved before applying the Catapres-TTS (clonidine) patch. Do not place the Catapres-TTS (clonidine) patch on skin folds or under tight undergarments, since premature loosening may occur.
3) Wash hands with soap and water and thoroughly dry them.
4) Clean the area chosen with soap and water. Rinse and wipe dry with a clean, dry tissue.
5) Select the pouch with the red and orange colors labeled Catapres-TTS (clonidine) and open it as illustrated in Figure 3. Remove the square, tan patch from the pouch.
6) Remove the clear plastic protective backing from the patch by gently peeling off one half of the backing at a time as shown in Figure 4. Avoid touching the sticky side of the Catapres-TTS (clonidine) patch.
7) Place the Catapres-TTS (clonidine) patch on the prepared skin site (sticky side down) by applying firm pressure over the patch to ensure good contact with the skin, especially around the edges (Figure 5). Discard the clear plastic protective backing and wash your hands with soap and water to remove any drug from your hands.
8) After one week, remove the old patch and discard it (refer to Instructions for Disposal). After choosing a different skin site, repeat instructions 2 through 7 for the application of your next Catapres-TTS (clonidine) patch.
What to do if your Catapres-TTS (clonidine) patch becomes loose while wearing:
How to Apply the adhesive cover
Note: The white, round, adhesive cover does not contain any drug and should not be used alone. The cover should be applied directly over the Catapres-TTS (clonidine) patch only if the patch begins to separate from the skin, thereby ensuring that it sticks to the skin for seven full days.
- Wash hands with soap and water and thoroughly dry them.
- Using a clean, dry tissue, make sure that the area around the square, tan Catapres-TTS (clonidine) patch is clean and dry. Press gently on the Catapres-TTS (clonidine) patch to ensure that the edges are in good contact with the skin.
- Take the white, round, adhesive cover (Figure 6) from the plain white pouch and remove the paper liner backing from the cover.
- Carefully center the round, white adhesive cover over the square, tan Catapres-TTS (clonidine) patch and apply firm pressure, especially around the edges in contact with the skin.
Instructions for Disposal
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
During or even after use, a patch contains active medication which may be harmful to infants and children if accidentally applied or ingested. After use, fold in half with the sticky sides together. Dispose of carefully out of reach of children.
Last reviewed on RxList: 5/28/2010
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Catapres-TTS Information
Catapres-TTS - User Reviews
Catapres-TTS User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on handling your hypertension.