"For men with low testosterone, taking testosterone along with Viagra may not help their erections more than if they only took Viagra, a new study shows.
“There were lots of reasons to think that it would work," Boston University rese"...
Caverject Powder Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is alprostadil (Caverject Powder)?
- What are the possible side effects of alprostadil (Caverject Powder)?
- What is the most important information I should know about alprostadil (Caverject Powder)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using alprostadil (Caverject Powder)?
- How should I use alprostadil (Caverject Powder)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Caverject Powder)?
- What happens if I overdose (Caverject Powder)?
- What should I avoid while using alprostadil (Caverject Powder)?
- What other drugs will affect alprostadil (Caverject Powder)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using alprostadil (Caverject Powder)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to alprostadil, or if you have:
- sickle cell anemia or the sickle cell anemia trait;
- a tumor of the bone marrow (multiple myeloma);
- a curved or deformed penis;
- penile fibrosis or Peyronie's disease;
- if you have a penile implant; or
- if you have been told you should not have sexual intercourse for health reasons.
To make sure you can safely use alprostadil, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- a history of blood clots;
- heart disease, high blood pressure (hypertension);
- a bleeding or blood-clotting disorder; or
- a disease that could be passed in blood (such as hepatitis or HIV).
Use a condom to prevent transfer of this medication to your sexual partner if she is pregnant or could become pregnant.
Caverject, Caverject Impulse, Edex, or Muse should not be used by women or by anyone under 18 years old.
How should I use alprostadil (Caverject Powder)?
Your first dose of this medicine will be given in your doctor's office so you can be observed for how well the medication works and if it causes any side effects. You will then be shown how to properly give the medication to yourself. Wait at least 1 day after your first dose before using the medicine again.
Use exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label. Using too much alprostadil can be very dangerous.
Alprostadil is used only when needed to get an erection. An erection should occur within 5 to 20 minutes after you use the medication, and should last for 30 to 60 minutes. The length of time your erection lasts may be slightly different.
The injectable form of alprostadil is injected into the side of the penis.
The transurethral pellet is a very small suppository that is inserted into the opening of the penis (the urethra).
Do not use more than 2 alprostadil pellets in one day (24 hours). Do not use more than 3 alprostadil injections per week. Allow at least 24 hours to pass between injections.
Alprostadil comes with patient instructions for safe and effective use. Follow these directions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
Alprostadil injectable is a powder medicine that comes with a sterile liquid for mixing it. Caverject Impulse is a brand of alprostadil injectable supplied as a needle and syringe that contains both the powder medicine and the sterile liquid. The dose is automatically mixed when you turn a dial on the end of the syringe. The Caverject Impulse syringe is designed for only one use. Carefully follow the instructions provided with this product.
Use a disposable needle only once. Throw away used needles in a puncture-proof container (ask your pharmacist where you can get one and how to dispose of it). Keep this container out of the reach of children and pets.
Prepare your alprostadil dose only when you are ready to use the medicine. Do not shake the mixed medicine. After mixing, the medication should be clear. Do not use the medication if it looks cloudy or has particles in it. Call your doctor for a new prescription.
Do not give yourself an alprostadil injection or pellet if you do not understand the instructions for proper use. Call your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist for help with injection instructions. Using an alprostadil transurethral pellet improperly could cause damage to your urethra.
The Caverject Impulse device uses a very thin needle, which could break easily. If the needle breaks during injection and you can see and grasp the broken end, remove it and contact your doctor. If you cannot remove the broken end, call your doctor right away.
An alprostadil injection can cause bleeding where the needle is placed. This can make it easier for your sexual partner to be exposed to your blood. Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you have a virus such as hepatitis or HIV, which can be passed to another person who comes into contact with your blood.
To be sure this medication is not causing harmful effects, your penis may need to be examined every 3 months. Visit your doctor regularly.
Storing this medicine:
- Keep each urethral pellet in its original foil pouch until you are ready to use it. Store the foil pouches in the refrigerator. You may store the pouches at room temperature for up to 14 days.
- Store alprostadil injectable at room temperature. The 40 microgram strength of unmixed alprostadil can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 months, or until the expiration date on the label, whichever happens first.
- Do not expose alprostadil products to freezing or very hot temperatures. Do not store your medication in a closed automobile, or pack it into luggage that will be placed into a cargo area during travel.
Additional Caverject Powder Information
Caverject - User Reviews
Caverject User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Sex & Relationships
Get tips to boost your love life.