"Dec. 17, 2012 -- Milk is an important source of vitamin D and calcium in young children's diets. But drinking more than two glasses a day may lower how much iron is stored in their bodies, raising the risk for anemia, a new study suggests."...
Cefzil Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Cefzil
Generic Name: cefprozil (Pronunciation: sef PROE zil)
- What is cefprozil (Cefzil)?
- What are the possible side effects of cefprozil (Cefzil)?
- What is the most important information I should know about cefprozil (Cefzil)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking cefprozil (Cefzil)?
- How should I take cefprozil (Cefzil)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Cefzil)?
- What happens if I overdose (Cefzil)?
- What should I avoid while taking cefprozil (Cefzil)?
- What other drugs will affect cefprozil (Cefzil)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is cefprozil (Cefzil)?
Cefprozil is in a group of drugs called cephalosporin (SEF a low spor in) antibiotics. It works by fighting bacteria in your body.
Cefprozil is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria.
Cefprozil may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Cefprozil 250 mg-APO
oblong, orange, imprinted with APO, CPZ 250
Cefprozil 250 mg-TEV
round, orange, imprinted with 93, 1077
Cefprozil 500 mg-APO
oblong, white, imprinted with APO, CPZ 500
Cefprozil 500 mg-TEV
oblong, white, imprinted with 93, 1078
Cefzil 250 mg
oblong, peach, imprinted with 250, 7720
Cefzil 500 mg
oblong, white, imprinted with 500, 7721
What are the possible side effects of cefprozil (Cefzil)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- unusual bleeding;
- seizure (convulsions);
- pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, fever, confusion or weakness;
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
- skin rash, bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness; or
- increased thirst, loss of appetite, swelling, weight gain, feeling short of breath, urinating less than usual or not at all.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, mild diarrhea;
- stiff or tight muscles;
- dizziness, feeling restless or hyperactive;
- unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth;
- diaper rash in an infant taking liquid cefprozil;
- mild itching or skin rash; or
- vaginal itching or discharge.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Cefzil (cefprozil) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects »
What is the most important information I should know about cefprozil (Cefzil)?
Do not take this medication if you are allergic to cefprozil, or to similar antibiotics, such as Ceftin, Keflex, Omnicef, and others.
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor or if you are allergic to any drugs (especially penicillins). Also tell your doctor if you have kidney disease or a history of intestinal problems.
Take this medication for the entire length of time prescribed by your doctor. Your symptoms may get better before the infection is completely treated. Cefprozil will not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
Antibiotic medicines can cause diarrhea, which may be a sign of a new infection. If you have diarrhea that is watery or has blood in it, call your doctor. Do not use any medicine to stop the diarrhea unless your doctor has told you to.
The cefprozil suspension (liquid) may contain phenylalanine. Talk to your doctor before using this form of cefprozil if you have phenylketonuria (PKU).
Additional Cefzil Information
Cefzil - User Reviews
Cefzil User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Parenting and Pregnancy
Get tips for baby and you.