"Nov. 1, 2013 (San Diego)- Women who drink one or more sugar-sweetened sodas a day might raise their risk of getting rheumatoid arthritis, according to a new study that links RA risk to the sugary habit. The study does not prove cause and ef"...
Celebrex Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Celebrex
Generic Name: celecoxib (oral) (Pronunciation: SEL e KOX ib)
- What is celecoxib (Celebrex)?
- What are the possible side effects of celecoxib (Celebrex)?
- What is the most important information I should know about celecoxib (Celebrex)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking celecoxib (Celebrex)?
- How should I take celecoxib (Celebrex)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Celebrex)?
- What happens if I overdose (Celebrex)?
- What should I avoid while taking celecoxib (Celebrex)?
- What other drugs will affect celecoxib (Celebrex)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is celecoxib (Celebrex)?
Celecoxib is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Celecoxib works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.
Celecoxib is used to treat pain or inflammation caused by many conditions such as arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, and menstrual pain. Celecoxib is also used in the treatment of hereditary polyps in the colon
Celecoxib may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Celebrex 100 mg
capsule, white, imprinted with 7767, 100
Celebrex 200 mg
capsule, white, imprinted with 7767, 200
Celebrex 400 mg
capsule, white, imprinted with 7767, 400
What are the possible side effects of celecoxib (Celebrex)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using celecoxib and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, problems with vision or balance;
- black, bloody, or tarry stools;
- coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- swelling or rapid weight gain;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- skin rash, bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness; or
- severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Less serious side effects may include:
- upset stomach, diarrhea, bloating, gas;
- dizziness, nervousness, headache;
- runny or stuffy nose, sore throat; or
- mild skin rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Celebrex (celecoxib) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about celecoxib (Celebrex)?
This medicine may cause life-threatening heart or circulation problems such as heart attack or stroke, especially if you use it long term. Do not use celecoxib just before or after heart bypass surgery (coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).
Get emergency medical help if you have chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, or problems with vision or balance.
This medicine may also cause serious effects on the stomach or intestines, including bleeding or perforation (forming of a hole). These conditions can be fatal and can occur without warning while you are taking celecoxib, especially in older adults.
Call your doctor at once if you have symptoms of stomach bleeding such as black, bloody, or tarry stools, or coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It may increase your risk of stomach bleeding.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before using any other cold, allergy, or pain medicine. Medicines similar to celecoxib are contained in many combination medicines. Check the label to see if a medicine contains an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) such as aspirin, ibuprofen, ketoprofen, or naproxen.
Additional Celebrex Information
- Celebrex Drug Interactions Center: celecoxib oral
- Celebrex Side Effects Center
- Celebrex Overview including Precautions
- Celebrex FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Celebrex - User Reviews
Celebrex User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options