(Cancer of the Cervix)
- Cervical cancer facts*
- What is the cervix?
- What is cancer?
- What are the risk factors and causes of cervical cancer?
- What are the symptoms of cervical cancer?
- How is cervical cancer diagnosed?
- How is staging of cervical cancer determined?
- What is the treatment for cervical cancer?
- What are methods of treatment for cervical cancer?
- How do I go about getting a second opinion?
- What follow-up care is involved after cervical cancer treatment?
- What support, research, and clinical trials information is available for cervical cancer patients?
- Patient Comments: Cervical Cancer - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Cervical Cancer - Risk Factors
- Patient Comments: Cervical Cancer - Treatments
- Find a local Oncologist in your town
*Cervical cancer facts Medically Edited by: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Cervical cancer facts*
- Causes and risk factors for cervical cancer have been identified and include human papillomavirus (HPV) infection, having many sexual partners, smoking, taking birth control pills, and engaging in early sexual contact.
- HPV infection may cause cervical dysplasia, or abnormal growth of cervical cells.
- Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous changes in the cervix.
- Precancerous changes in the cervix may be treated with cryosurgery, cauterization, or laser surgery.
- The most common symptoms and signs of cervical cancer are abnormal bleeding and pelvic pain.
- Cervical cancer can be diagnosed using a Pap smear or other procedures that sample the cervix tissue.
- Chest X-rays, CT scan, MRI, and a PET scan may be used to determine the stage of cervical cancer.
- Cancer of the cervix requires different treatment than cancer that begins in other parts of the uterus.
- Treatment options for cervical cancer include radiation therapy, surgery, and chemotherapy.
- Two vaccines, Gardasil and Cervarix, are available to prevent HPV infection.
- The prognosis of cervical cancer depends upon the stage and type of cervical cancer and the tumor size.
Learn more about: Cervarix
Next: What is the cervix?
Viewers share their comments
Cervical Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with cervical cancer?
Cervical Cancer - Share Your Experience Question: Did you have cervical cancer or a precancerous cervical condition? Please share your experience.
Cervical Cancer - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of cervical cancer.
Cervical Cancer - Share Surgery Experience Question: Did you have a surgical procedure to treat cervical cancer or a precancerous condition? Please share your experience.
Cervical Cancer - Risk Factors Question: Did you have any of the risk factors for cervical cancer at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?
Find out what women really need.