"Adding misoprostol to oxytocin immediately after childbirth did not additionally prevent postpartum hemorrhage and may have increased women's risks for adverse events compared with administering oxytocin alone, according to a new randomized contr"...
Cervidil (dinoprostone) is used as a single dosage in a single application. Overdosage is usually manifested by uterine hyperstimulation which may be accompanied by fetal distress, and is usually responsive to removal of the insert. Other treatment must be symptomatic since, to date, clinical experience with prostaglandin antagonists is insufficient.
The use of beta-adrenergic agents should be considered in the event of undesirable increased uterine activity.
Cervidil (dinoprostone) is contraindicated in:
- Patients with known hypersensitivity to prostaglandins.
- Patients in whom there is clinical suspicion or definite evidence of fetal distress where delivery is not imminent.
- Patients with unexplained vaginal bleeding during this pregnancy.
- Patients in whom there is evidence or strong suspicion of marked cephalopelvic disproportion.
- Patients in whom oxytocic drugs are contraindicated or when prolonged contraction of the uterus may be detrimental to fetal safety or uterine integrity, such as previous cesarean section or major uterine surgery (see PRECAUTIONS and ADVERSE REACTIONS).
- Patients already receiving intravenous oxytocic drugs.
- Multipara with 6 or more previous term pregnancies.
18. MacKenzie, I.; Information on File: Controlled Therapeutics (Scotland).This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Last reviewed on RxList: 6/17/2010
Additional Cervidil Information
Cervidil - User Reviews
Cervidil User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Parenting and Pregnancy
Get tips for baby and you.