- What other names is Chanca Piedra known by?
- What is Chanca Piedra?
- How does Chanca Piedra work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Chanca Piedra.
Chanca piedra is used for various disorders of the urinary tract including infections, pain and swelling (inflammation), kidney stones, and discharge from the urethra or vagina. It is also used for digestive tract disorders including gas, loss of appetite, stomachache, intestinal infections, constipation, and dysentery.
Some people use chanca piedra as a liver tonic and for liver problems including hepatitis B. Other uses include treating diabetes, gallstones, colic, flu, swine flu, yellowing of the skin (jaundice), abdominal tumors, pain around the rectum, fever, sexually transmitted diseases such as syphilis and gonorrhea, malaria, tumors, caterpillar stings, cough, fluid retention, itching, miscarriage, tremors, typhoid, anemia, asthma, bronchitis, thirst, tuberculosis, and dizziness.
Likely Ineffective for...
- Hepatitis B. Taking chanca piedra by mouth for 1-6 weeks does not improve hepatitis B symptoms, decrease the duration of acute hepatitis B, or decrease markers of hepatitis B present in the blood.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Diabetes. Early research suggests that taking chanca piedra by mouth for 7 days does not lower blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes.
- High blood pressure. Early research shows that taking chanca piedra by mouth for 10 days does not lower blood pressure in people with high blood pressure.
- Kidney stones. Early research shows that taking chanca piedra by mouth for 3 months does not decrease the size or number of kidney stones in people prone to kidney stones. However, other research suggests that taking a specific product of chanca piedra (Uriston) by mouth for at least 3 months after undergoing shock wave therapy to break apart kidney stones helps the body get rid of kidney stones if they are located lower in the urinary tract.
- Sore throat and swollen tonsils (tonsillopharyngitis). Early research suggests that taking a combination of chanca piedra and black seed by mouth for 7 days relieves pain in people with sore throat and swollen tonsils.
- Urinary tract infections and pain and swelling (inflammation).
- Increasing urine output.
- Intestinal gas.
- Increasing appetite.
- Use as a liver tonic and blood purifier.
- Intestinal infections.
- Yellowing of the skin (jaundice).
- Abdominal tumors.
- Caterpillar stings.
- Pain and swelling around the rectum.
- Infections of the vagina.
- Other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.