"Jan. 16, 2013 -- For its efforts to lessen smoking in the U.S. last year, the Obama administration is getting three D's and an F on the federal report card from the American Lung Association (ALA).
In its annual "State of Tobacco Cont"...
Chantix Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is varenicline (Chantix)?
- What are the possible side effects of varenicline (Chantix)?
- What is the most important information I should know about varenicline (Chantix)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking varenicline (Chantix)?
- How should I take varenicline (Chantix)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Chantix)?
- What happens if I overdose (Chantix)?
- What should I avoid while taking varenicline (Chantix)?
- What other drugs will affect varenicline (Chantix)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking varenicline (Chantix)?
To make sure you can safely take varenicline, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- heart disease, circulation problems;
- kidney disease (or if you are on dialysis); or
- a history of depression or mental illness.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether varenicline will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
It is not known whether varenicline passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Do not give this medication to anyone under 18 years old
How should I take varenicline (Chantix)?
Take exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
You may choose from 2 ways to use varenicline. Ask your doctor which of the following methods is best for you:
- Set a date to quit smoking and start taking varenicline one week before that date. This will allow the drug to build up in your body.
- You may also start taking varenicline before you set a planned quit date. Once you start taking the medicine, choose a quit date that is between 8 and 35 days after you start treatment.
Take varenicline after eating. Take the medicine with a full glass of water.
When you first start taking varenicline, you will take a low dose and then gradually increase your dose over the first several days of treatment. Follow your doctor's dosing instructions very carefully.
In most cases, varenicline treatment lasts for 12 weeks. Your doctor may recommend a second 12-week course of varenicline to improve the chance that you will quit smoking long-term.
Use varenicline regularly to get the most benefit. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely. You should remain under the care of a doctor while taking varenicline.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Additional Chantix Information
- Chantix Drug Interactions Center: varenicline oral
- Chantix Side Effects Center
- Chantix Overview including Precautions
- Chantix FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Chantix - User Reviews
Chantix User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips, treatments, & motivation.