Chemical Peel (cont.)
Gary W. Cole, MD, FAAD
Dr. Cole is board certified in dermatology. He obtained his BA degree in bacteriology, his MA degree in microbiology, and his MD at the University of California, Los Angeles. He trained in dermatology at the University of Oregon, where he completed his residency.
Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD, is a U.S. board-certified Anatomic Pathologist with subspecialty training in the fields of Experimental and Molecular Pathology. Dr. Stöppler's educational background includes a BA with Highest Distinction from the University of Virginia and an MD from the University of North Carolina. She completed residency training in Anatomic Pathology at Georgetown University followed by subspecialty fellowship training in molecular diagnostics and experimental pathology.
In this Article
- Chemical peel facts
- What is a chemical peel?
- What are the different types of chemical peels?
- Are at-home or over-the-counter chemical peels as effective as professional chemical peels?
- Who is a good candidate for a chemical peel?
- Who should not get a chemical peel?
- What are the benefits of chemical peels?
- What are risks, side effects, and dangers of chemical peels?
- How are chemical peels performed?
- How does one prepare for a chemical peel?
- What sort of follow-up care is needed after a chemical peel?
- Find a local Dermatologist in your town
What sort of follow-up care is needed after a chemical peel?
The skin is especially sensitive after a chemical peel. It is essential to practice strict sun avoidance during and after the healing process. The skin may remain sun sensitive for some time after the peel. The frequency of post-op physician visits will depend upon the depth of the peel and the preferences of the physician.
Medically reviewed by Norman Levine, MD; American Board of Dermatology
Fischer, T.C., E. Perosino, F. Poli, M.S. Viera, and B. Dreno. "Chemical Peels in Aesthetic Dermatology: An Updated 2009." Journal of European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology 24 (2010): 281-292.
Find out what women really need.