Childbirth Class Options (cont.)
In this Article
- Childbirth class option facts
- Lamaze technique
- The Bradley method
- Alexander technique
- Where to find birthing classes
- Find a local Doctor in your town
The Bradley Method
The Bradley method, also called husband-coached birth, is an approach that prepares the mother to deliver without pain medications and prepares the baby's father to be the birth coach.
This comprehensive 12-session course covers the following:
- Importance of nutrition and exercise
- Relaxation techniques for pain management
- Labor rehearsals
- How to avoid a cesarean birth
- Postpartum care
- Guidance for coach about supporting the mother
Although the Bradley method prepares the mother to give birth without medications, it also prepares parents for the possibility of unexpected situations, such as emergency cesarean sections.
The Alexander technique is a method for improving ease and freedom of movement, balance, flexibility, and coordination. Although the technique can be used by anyone, for expectant mothers its goals include the following:
- Improve comfort during pregnancy
- Increase pushing effectiveness during delivery
- Aid in recovery from childbirth
- Ease the discomfort of nursing
Ideally, a woman will take weekly lessons while pregnant. Because the Alexander technique is an educational process, the more you practice its principles in your daily activities, the greater the benefits.
HypnoBirthing, also called the Mongan method, is a relaxed natural childbirth education approach enhanced by self-hypnosis techniques. Emphasis is placed on pregnancy and childbirth, as well as on pre-birth parenting and the consciousness of the pre-born baby. It is presented in a series of five, two-and-a-half-hour classes or four three-hour classes.
Parenting and Pregnancy
Get tips for baby and you.