In this Article
- What other names is Chitosan known by?
- What is Chitosan?
- How does Chitosan work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Chitosan.
Chitin is extracted from the shells of shellfish. People with shellfish allergies might be allergic to chitosan.
Do not use chitosan if:
- You are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- You have a shellfish allergy.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
WebMD Oral Health
Get tips for a healthy mouth.