In this Article
- What other names is Chitosan known by?
- What is Chitosan?
- How does Chitosan work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Chitosan.
Interaction Rating: Moderate Be cautious with this combination.
Talk with your health provider.
Warfarin is a blood thinner. There is some concern that taking chitosan might increase the blood-thinning effects of warfarin (Coumadin). Taking chitosan with warfarin (Coumadin) could increase the chance of bruising or bleeding. If you take warfarin, avoid taking chitosan.
- For reducing high cholesterol and improving anemia, physical strength, appetite, and sleep in people with renal failure who are undergoing hemodialysis: 1.35 grams of chitosan three times daily.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
WebMD Oral Health
Get tips for a healthy mouth.