- What other names is Chitosan known by?
- What is Chitosan?
- How does Chitosan work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Chitosan.
Possibly Effective for...
- Patients with kidney failure who are on chronic hemodialysis. When ingested by these patients, chitosan may reduce high cholesterol; improve anemia; and improve physical strength, appetite, and sleep.
- Treating periodontitis, a dental condition.
- Helping to remake tissue after plastic surgery.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Weight loss and obesity, high cholesterol, Crohn's disease (an intestinal disorder), dental cavities, and other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Next: How does Chitosan work?
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
WebMD Oral Health
Get tips for a healthy mouth.