Choosing a Toothbrush (cont.)
In this Article
- Choosing a toothbrush: General tips
- What's the best toothbrush? Disposable or electric?
- What is the best toothbrush for children?
The best toothbrush for children
When it comes to choosing the best toothbrush for your child, it's important to opt for one that your child will use properly and regularly. There are a variety of disposable and electric options available for children. And they come in a variety of colors and often feature children's favorite characters from classic stories and popular cartoons. Some varieties even play music to help your child know how long to brush.
To choose a good toothbrush for your child, try the following suggestions:
- Make sure the toothbrush you select has an ADA Seal of Approval.
- Pick a child-sized toothbrush with soft bristles.
- If your children are old enough, have them help you pick out their toothbrushes. Getting your children involved in the process and excited about a new toothbrush may make tooth-brushing a more enjoyable task.
WebMD Medical Reference
American Dental Association: "Toothbrush Care: Cleaning, and Replacement."
American Academy of Periodontology: "Are Your Gums Getting the Respect They Need?"
University of Maryland Medical Center: "Pediatric Dental Health."
University of South Carolina School of Medicine: "General Home Care: Toddlers and Teeth."
Reviewed by Matthew Hoffman, MD, on July 10, 2008
© 2008 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
Last Editorial Review: 7/28/2008
WebMD Oral Health
Get tips for a healthy mouth.