"Sept. 7, 2011 -- A popular class of rheumatoid arthritis drugs may slightly increase skin cancer risk but not the risk of other cancers, a "reassuring" study finds.
Cimzia, Enbrel, Humira, Remicade, and Simponi all inhibit a natural p"...
Cimzia Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Cimzia
Generic Name: certolizumab (Pronunciation: SER toe LIZ oo mab)
- What is certolizumab (Cimzia)?
- What are the possible side effects of certolizumab (Cimzia)?
- What is the most important information I should know about certolizumab (Cimzia)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before I receive certolizumab (Cimzia)?
- How is certolizumab given (Cimzia)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Cimzia)?
- What happens if I overdose (Cimzia)?
- What should I avoid while receiving certolizumab (Cimzia)?
- What other drugs will affect certolizumab (Cimzia)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is certolizumab (Cimzia)?
Certolizumab reduces the effects of a substance in the body that can cause inflammation.
Certolizumab is used to treat the symptoms of Crohn's disease after other drugs have been tried without successful treatment of symptoms. Certolizumab is also used to treat moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis in adults.
Certolizumab may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of certolizumab (Cimzia)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor right away if you have any of these symptoms of lymphoma:
- chest pain, cough, feeling short of breath;
- swelling in your neck, underarm, or groin (this swelling may come and go);
- fever, night sweats, itching, weight loss, feeling tired;
- feeling full after eating only a small amount; or
- pain in your upper stomach that may spread to your back or shoulder.
Stop using certolizumab and call your doctor at once if you have:
- signs of infection (fever, chills, sore throat, vomiting, diarrhea, flu symptoms);
- swelling of your ankles or feet;
- fast or slow heart rate;
- pain or burning when you urinate;
- confusion, neck stiffness, seizure (convulsions);
- severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
- vision problems, dizziness, numbness or tingly feeling, muscle weakness in your arms or legs;
- joint pain or swelling with fever, muscle aches, nausea, unusual thoughts or behavior, and/or seizure (convulsions); or
- patchy skin color, red spots, or a butterfly-shaped skin rash over your cheeks and nose (worsens in sunlight).
Common side effects may include:
- stuffy nose, sinus pain;
- stomach pain, mild diarrhea, constipation; or
- pain, redness, itching, swelling, or bleeding where the medicine was injected.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Cimzia (certolizumab pegol injection) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about certolizumab (Cimzia)?
Some people using certolizumab have developed a rare fast-growing type of lymphoma (cancer). This condition affects the liver, spleen, and bone marrow, and it can be fatal. This has occurred mainly in teenagers and young adults using certolizumab or similar medicines to treat Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of the following symptoms: fever, night sweats, itching, loss of appetite, weight loss, tiredness, feeling full after eating only a small amount, pain in your upper stomach that may spread to your shoulder, nausea, easy bruising or bleeding, pale skin, feeling light-headed or short of breath, rapid heart rate, dark urine, clay-colored stools, or jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Serious and sometimes fatal infections may occur during treatment with certolizumab. Contact your doctor right away if you have open sores or skin wounds, or signs of infection such as: fever, cough, or flu symptoms.
Do not receive a "live" vaccine while you are being treated with certolizumab.
Additional Cimzia Information
Cimzia - User Reviews
Cimzia User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.