In this Article
- What other names is Citicoline known by?
- What is Citicoline?
- How does Citicoline work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Dosing considerations for Citicoline.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking citicoline if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
- For decline in thinking skills due to age: 1000-2000 mg of citicoline per day.
- For ongoing disease of the blood vessels that serve the brain (chronic cerebrovascular disease): 600 mg of citicoline per day.
- For immediate treatment of stroke due to a clot (ischemic stroke): 500-2000 mg of citicoline per day starting within 24 hours of stroke.
- Healthcare providers give citicoline intravenously (by IV) for age-related decline in thinking skills or for chronic cerebrovascular disease.
- Healthcare providers give citicoline by shot for chronic cerebrovascular disease.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get breaking medical news.