In this Article
- What other names is Citicoline known by?
- What is Citicoline?
- How does Citicoline work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Dosing considerations for Citicoline.
Do not take citicoline if:
- You are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- For decline in thinking skills due to age: 1000-2000 mg of citicoline per day.
- For ongoing disease of the blood vessels that serve the brain (chronic cerebrovascular disease): 600 mg of citicoline per day.
- For immediate treatment of stroke due to a clot (ischemic stroke): 500-2000 mg of citicoline per day starting within 24 hours of stroke.
- Healthcare providers give citicoline intravenously (by IV) for age-related decline in thinking skills or for chronic cerebrovascular disease.
- Healthcare providers give citicoline by shot for chronic cerebrovascular disease.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.