"Dec. 24, 2012 -- Colorado Springs high school junior Morgan Smith can't remember a time when he didn't have life-threatening food allergies.
The 16-year-old had his first reaction to peanut butter at 9 months of age when he broke out in hiv"...
Clarinex Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Clarinex, Clarinex Reditabs
Generic Name: desloratadine (Pronunciation: DES lor A ta deen)
- What is desloratadine (Clarinex)?
- What are the possible side effects of desloratadine (Clarinex)?
- What is the most important information I should know about desloratadine (Clarinex)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking desloratadine (Clarinex)?
- How should I take desloratadine (Clarinex)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Clarinex)?
- What happens if I overdose (Clarinex)?
- What should I avoid while taking desloratadine (Clarinex)?
- What other drugs will affect desloratadine (Clarinex)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is desloratadine (Clarinex)?
Desloratadine is an antihistamine that reduces the effects of the natural chemical histamine in the body. Histamine can produce symptoms of sneezing, itching, watery eyes, and runny nose.
Desloratadine is used to treat the symptoms of allergies, such as sneezing, watery eyes, and runny nose. It is also used to treat skin hives and itching in people with chronic skin reactions.
Desloratadine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Clarinex 5 mg
round, blue, imprinted with C5
What are the possible side effects of desloratadine (Clarinex)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat;
- fever, flu symptoms;
- seizure (convulsions); or
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- dry mouth, sore throat, cough;
- muscle pain;
- drowsiness, tired feeling;
- nausea, diarrhea; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Clarinex (desloratadine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about desloratadine (Clarinex)?
You should not take this medication if you are allergic to desloratadine or to loratadine (Claritin).
Before taking desloratadine, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have liver or kidney disease.
Do not give this medication to a child younger than 2 years old without the advice of a doctor.
Desloratadine disintegrating tablets (Clarinex RediTabs) may contain phenylalanine. Talk to your doctor before using this form of desloratadine if you have phenylketonuria (PKU).
Additional Clarinex Information
- Clarinex Drug Interactions Center: desloratadine oral
- Clarinex Side Effects Center
- Clarinex Overview including Precautions
- Clarinex FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Clarinex - User Reviews
Clarinex User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.