"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved the MemoryShape Breast Implant to increase breast size (augmentation) for use in women at least 22 years old and to rebuild breast tissue (reconstruction) in women of any age. The MemoryShape B"...
To ensure the safe and effective use of CLINOLIPID injection, this information should be discussed with the patient.
Inform patients of the following:
- Deaths in preterm infants after infusion of intravenous lipid emulsions such as CLINOLIPID injection have been reported.
- CLINOLIPID injection is given by infusion through a central or peripheral vein.
- Laboratory monitoring throughout treatment may be necessary.
- Allergic reactions to the lipid emulsion may occur.
- Risk of infection and sepsis associated with formulations administered intravenously.
- Fat overload syndrome can be caused by accumulation of fat in tissues, which may result in adverse effects.
- CLINOLIPID injection may cause adverse reactions such as nausea and vomiting, excess fat (lipids) in the blood, high blood sugar, low levels of protein in the blood and abnormal liver function tests.
Should patients self-administer CLINOLIPID injection at home, patients should also be instructed to:
- Do not deviate from the administration instructions given by the health provider.
- Inspect the bag visually for particulate matter and if the lipid emulsion is an evenly distributed liquid with a milky appearance with no visible oil droplets at the surface prior to administration.
- Ensure that there is an in-line filter in place prior to and during administration.
- Inform their physicians about any changes in prescription or over-the-counter medications and supplements.
- Have periodic laboratory tests and routinely follow up with their healthcare provider.
- Any remaining product from partially used bag must be discarded.
- Contact their healthcare provider should any signs of injection site infection, inflammation extending from the injection site, or new-onset allergic reaction appear.
Last reviewed on RxList: 10/18/2013
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Clinolipid Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.