Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Inflammation of the bony area (tailbone or coccyx) located between the buttocks is referred to as coccydynia. Coccydynia is associated with pain and tenderness at the tip of the tailbone between the buttocks. The pain is often worsened by sitting.
Coccydynia is often caused by an injury, but may occur seemingly spontaneously. There are many causes of tailbone pain which can mimic coccydynia, including sciatica, infection, pilonidal cysts, and fractured bone.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Main Article on Coccydynia
Causes of Coccydynia
In This ArticleBone Fracture (Broken Bone) Article
- Bone fracture facts
- Introduction and definition of bone fracture
- What causes a bone fracture?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a bone fracture?
- What are common types of bone fractures?
- Broken wrist
- Broken hip
- Broken leg
- Broken shoulder
- Broken hand or fingers
- Open fracture
- Stress fracture
- Compression fracture
- Broken rib
- Skull fracture
- Other fractures
- Bone fracture in children
- How is a bone fracture diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for a bone fracture?
- Bone fracture surgery
In This ArticlePilonidal Cyst Article
- Pilonidal cysts facts
- What is a pilonidal cyst?
- What causes a pilonidal cyst?
- Who is at risk for developing a pilonidal cyst?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a pilonidal cyst?
- How is a pilonidal cyst diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for a pilonidal cyst?
- What are the complications of a pilonidal cyst?
- How are pilonidal cysts prevented?
- What is the prognosis for pilonidal cysts?
In This ArticleSciatica Article
- Sciatica facts
- What is sciatica?
- What are causes of sciatica?
- What are risk factors for sciatica?
- What are sciatica symptoms?
- How is sciatica diagnosed?
- What are treatment options for sciatica?
- What is the outlook (prognosis) for patients with sciatica?
- Can sciatica be prevented?
In This ArticleShingles Article
- Shingles facts
- What is shingles? What causes shingles?
- What are shingles symptoms and signs? How long does shingles last?
- How long is shingles contagious?
- How is shingles diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for shingles? Should I visit my health care professional?
- What are the complications of shingles?
- What is postherpetic neuralgia?
- Can shingles be prevented with a vaccine?
- What are potential side effects of the shingles vaccine?
- Is shingles dangerous in pregnant women?
Other Causes of Coccydynia
- Trauma Injury
Examples of Medications for Coccydynia
- acetaminophen, Tylenol and Others
- acetylsalicylic acid, Aspirin, Ecotrin
- hydrocodone/acetaminophen, Vicodin, Vicodin ES, Anexsia, Lorcet, Lorcet Plus, Norco
- ibuprofen, Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, etc.
- naproxen, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn, Aleve
- OTC Pain Relievers and Fever Reducers
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.