"Ulcerative colitis facts
- Ulcerative colitis is an inflammation of the large intestine (colon).
- The cause of ulcerative colitis is unknown.
- Intermittent rectal bleeding, c"...
Colazal Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Colazal
Generic Name: balsalazide (Pronunciation: bal SAL a zide)
- What is balsalazide (Colazal)?
- What are the possible side effects of balsalazide (Colazal)?
- What is the most important information I should know about balsalazide (Colazal)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking balsalazide (Colazal)?
- How should I take balsalazide (Colazal)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Colazal)?
- What happens if I overdose (Colazal)?
- What should I avoid while taking balsalazide (Colazal)?
- What other drug's will affect balsalazide (Colazal)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is balsalazide (Colazal)?
Balsalazide reduces the actions of chemicals in the body that cause inflammation in the colon (bowel).
Balsalazide is used to treat active ulcerative colitis.
Balsalazide may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Balsalazide 750 mg-APO
oblong, white, imprinted with APO, B750
Balsalazide 750 mg-MYL
orange, imprinted with MYLAN 6750
Balsalazide 750 mg-ROX
orange, imprinted with 54 795
What are the possible side effects of balsalazide (Colazal)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using balsalazide and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- worsening colitis symptoms, such as fever, stomach pain, cramps, or bloody diarrhea;
- bleeding from your rectum; or
- pale skin, easy bruising, weakness.
Less serious side effects may include:
- headache, sleep problems (insomnia);
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, diarrhea;
- runny nose, cold symptoms; or
- joint pain.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Colazal (balsalazide) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects »
What is the most important information I should know about balsalazide (Colazal)?
Do not use this medication if you are allergic to balsalazide or to salicylates (such as aspirin, Disalcid, Doan's Pills, Dolobid, Salflex, Tricosal, and others).
Before taking balsalazide, tell your doctor if you have a stomach disorder called pyloric stenosis, kidney disease, or an infection that you are treating with antibiotics.
Tell your doctor if your symptoms get worse after you start taking balsalazide.
Balsalazide may interact with antibiotics. Tell your doctor if you need to take an antibiotic during treatment with balsalazide.
Additional Colazal Information
Colazal - User Reviews
Colazal User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.