Cold Fingers Symptoms & Signs
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Cold sensations to the fingers can come from poor circulation, disorders of the nervous system, cold exposure, Raynaud's phenomenon, and low thyroid condition (hypothyroidism). Cold fingers may be associated with
- hand pain,
- wrist pain,
- swollen fingers,
- tingling fingers,
- thickness of the fingers,
- discoloration of the fingers (fingers turning blue or white).
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Longo, D.L., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 18th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2011.
Causes of Cold Fingers
In This ArticleDrug Abuse Article
- Drug use disorder facts
- What is drug use disorder?
- What types of drugs are commonly abused?
- What are the physical and psychological effects of drug use disorders?
- What are causes and risk factors for developing a drug use disorder?
- What are warning signs that you or a loved one may have a drug use disorder?
- What are symptoms and signs of drug use disorder?
- What happens to your brain when you take drugs?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose drug addiction?
- What is the treatment for drug addiction?
- What are complications of drug addiction?
- What is the prognosis of drug use disorder?
- Is it possible to prevent drug abuse and addiction?
- Where can people get more information and help for drug use disorders?
In This ArticleFrostbite (Cold Weather-Related Injuries) Article
- Frostbite and cold weather-related injuries facts
- Frequent Urination Overview
- Introduction to frostbite and cold weather-related injuries
- What type of injuries can be caused by cold weather?
- What are the signs and symptoms of frostbite?
- Common Causes of Frequent Urination
- What are cold weather-related injuries without tissue freezing?
- Trench foot
- Frostbite: Cold weather-related injuries with tissue freezing
- Frequent Urination Symptoms
- What does frostbite look like (frostbite pictures)?
- How should frostbite and other cold weather-related injuries be treated?
- When to Seek Medical Care
- Exams and Tests
- What is the recovery time for a frostbite injury?
- When should a person seek medical care for a cold weather-related injury?
- Who is most likely to get a cold weather-related injury and what can be done to prevent it?
- Self-Care at Home
- Medical Treatment
- For More Information
In This ArticleHypothyroidism Article
- Hypothyroidism definition and facts
- What is hypothyroidism?
- Where is the thyroid located, and what are thyroid hormones?
- What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism?
- How do thyroid hormones work?
- What causes hypothyroidism?
- How is hypothyroidism diagnosed?
- How is hypothyroidism treated?
- What is subclinical hypothyroidism?
- What's best for you?
In This ArticlePeripheral Vascular Disease Article
- Peripheral vascular disease facts
- What is peripheral vascular disease?
- What is atherosclerosis?
- How does atherosclerosis cause disease?
- What are potential complications of peripheral artery disease?
- What are the other causes of peripheral vascular diseases?
- Who is at risk for peripheral artery disease?
- What are the symptoms and signs of peripheral artery disease?
- How is peripheral artery disease diagnosed?
- What are the treatments for peripheral artery disease?
- Lifestyle changes
- Supervised exercise
- Peripheral vascular disease medications
- Angioplasty for peripheral vascular disease
- Surgery for peripheral vascular disease
In This ArticleThoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS) Article
- Thoracic outlet syndrome facts
- What is thoracic outlet syndrome?
- What causes thoracic outlet syndrome?
- What are thoracic outlet syndrome risk factors?
- What are thoracic outlet syndrome symptoms and signs?
- What tests do physicians use to diagnose thoracic outlet syndrome?
- What is the treatment for thoracic outlet syndrome? What are medications for thoracic outlet syndrome? Is surgery necessary for TOS?
- What are home remedies for thoracic outlet syndrome?
- What types of doctors treat thoracic outlet syndrome?
- What is the prognosis for thoracic outlet syndrome?
- Is it possible to prevent thoracic outlet syndrome?
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.