Cold Hands Symptoms & Signs
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Cold hands can arise due to cold exposure. Like cold sensation in the feet, cold hands can also be caused by problems with the circulation to the hands or with the nervous system. Some forms of thyroid disease can also result in the sensation of cold feet and hands.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Longo, Dan, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2011.
Causes of Cold Hands
In This ArticleDiabetes (Type 1 and Type 2) Article
- Diabetes facts
- What is diabetes?
- How many people in the US have diabetes?
- 6 early signs and symptoms of diabetes
- How do I know if I have diabetes?
- What causes diabetes?
- What are the risk factors for diabetes?
- What are the different types of diabetes?
- Type 1 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
- What are the other types of diabetes?
- What kind of doctor treats diabetes?
- How is diabetes diagnosed?
- Why is blood sugar checked at home?
- What are the acute complications of diabetes?
- What are the chronic complications of diabetes?
- What can be done to slow the complications of diabetes?
- What is the prognosis for a person with diabetes?
In This ArticleFrostbite (Cold Weather-Related Injuries) Article
- Frostbite and cold weather-related injuries facts
- Introduction to frostbite and cold weather-related injuries
- What type of injuries can be caused by cold weather?
- What are the signs and symptoms of frostbite?
- What are cold weather-related injuries without tissue freezing?
- Trench foot
- Frostbite: Cold weather-related injuries with tissue freezing
- What does frostbite look like (frostbite pictures)?
- How should frostbite and other cold weather-related injuries be treated?
- What is the recovery time for a frostbite injury?
- When should a person seek medical care for a cold weather-related injury?
- Who is most likely to get a cold weather-related injury and what can be done to prevent it?
In This ArticleHypothyroidism Article
- Hypothyroidism facts
- What is hypothyroidism?
- What are thyroid hormones?
- Thyroid hormone regulation- the chain of command
- What causes hypothyroidism?
- What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism?
- How is hypothyroidism diagnosed?
- How is hypothyroidism treated?
- What is subclinical hypothyroidism?
- What's best for you?
In This ArticleLupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or SLE) Article
- Systemic lupus erythematosus facts
- What is systemic lupus erythematosus? What are the types of lupus?
- What are risk factors and causes of systemic lupus erythematosus? Is lupus contagious? Is lupus hereditary?
- What is drug-induced lupus?
- What are lupus symptoms and signs?
- How is systemic lupus erythematosus diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for systemic lupus?
- Is there a systemic lupus erythematosus diet?
- How can a lupus patient help prevent disease activity (flares)?
- How can systemic lupus erythematosus affect pregnancy or the newborn?
- What specialties of doctors treat lupus?
- What is the prognosis of lupus? What does the future hold for people with systemic lupus?
- Where can one get more information about systemic lupus erythematosus?
In This ArticlePeripheral Neuropathy Article
- Peripheral neuropathy facts
- What is peripheral neuropathy?
- What causes peripheral neuropathy?
- What are the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy?
- How is peripheral neuropathy diagnosed?
- Is there any treatment for peripheral neuropathy?
- Can peripheral neuropathy be prevented?
In This ArticlePeripheral Vascular Disease Article
- Peripheral vascular disease facts
- What is peripheral vascular disease?
- What is atherosclerosis?
- How does atherosclerosis cause disease?
- What are potential complications of peripheral artery disease?
- What are the other causes of peripheral vascular diseases?
- Who is at risk for peripheral artery disease?
- What are the symptoms and signs of peripheral artery disease?
- How is peripheral artery disease diagnosed?
- What are the treatments for peripheral artery disease?
- Lifestyle changes
- Supervised exercise
- Peripheral vascular disease medications
- Angioplasty for peripheral vascular disease
- Surgery for peripheral vascular disease
In This ArticleScleroderma Article
- Scleroderma facts
- What is scleroderma?
- What causes scleroderma?
- What are risk factors for developing scleroderma?
- How is scleroderma classified?
- What are scleroderma symptoms and signs?
- How is scleroderma diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for scleroderma?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for patients with scleroderma?
- Can scleroderma be prevented?
Other Causes of Cold Hands
- Buerger's Disease
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.