May 6, 2016
Types of Colitis
Table of Contents
- Colitis facts
- What is colitis?
- Colitis and the anatomy of the colon
- What are the causes (types) of colitis?
- Infectious causes of colitis
- Ischemic causes of colitis
- Inflammatory bowel disease and colitis
- Microscopic colitis
- Allergic colitis in infants
- What are colitis symptoms and signs?
- When should someone contact a doctor about colitis?
- What kind of doctor treats colitis, and how is it diagnosed?
- How is colitis diagnosed (physical examination)?
- What blood tests and/or stool samples diagnose colitis?
- What imaging tests and procedures diagnose colitis?
- What is the treatment for colitis?
- What is the prognosis for a person with colitis?
What is colitis?
Colitis describes inflammation of the inner lining of the colon and can be associated withdiarrhea, abdominal pain, bloating, and blood in the stool. This inflammation may be due to a variety of reasons, including the following:
- Loss of blood supply to the colon (ischemia)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis)
- Allergic reactions
- Invasion of the colon wall with lymphocytic white blood cells or collagen Continue Reading
2/15Reviewed on 2/26/2016