May 28, 2016
Types of Colitis
Table of Contents
- Colitis facts
- What is colitis?
- Colitis and the anatomy of the colon
- What are the causes (types) of colitis?
- Infectious causes of colitis
- Ischemic causes of colitis
- Inflammatory bowel disease and colitis
- Microscopic colitis
- Allergic colitis in infants
- What are colitis symptoms and signs?
- When should someone contact a doctor about colitis?
- What kind of doctor treats colitis, and how is it diagnosed?
- How is colitis diagnosed (physical examination)?
- What blood tests and/or stool samples diagnose colitis?
- What imaging tests and procedures diagnose colitis?
- What is the treatment for colitis?
- What is the prognosis for a person with colitis?
What are the causes (types) of colitis?
Colitis describes inflammation of the colon (col=colon + itis=inflammation). Examples of causes of colitis include
- infection, for example, caused by bacteria like C. difficile, viruses, and parasites;
- inflammatory bowel disease like Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis,
- ischemic colitis caused by decreased blood supply;
- microscopic colitis (lymphocytic/collagenous colitis);
- allergic reactions. Continue Reading
4/15Reviewed on 2/26/2016