Benjamin Wedro, MD, FACEP, FAAEM
Dr. Ben Wedro practices emergency medicine at Gundersen Clinic, a regional trauma center in La Crosse, Wisconsin. His background includes undergraduate and medical studies at the University of Alberta, a Family Practice internship at Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario and residency training in Emergency Medicine at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.
In this Article
- Colitis facts
- What is colitis?
- What are the causes (types) of colitis?
- Infectious colitis
- Ischemic colitis
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Microscopic colitis
- Allergic colitis in infants
- What are the symptoms of colitis?
- When should I contact my doctor about colitis?
- How is colitis diagnosed?
- How is colitis treated?
- What is the prognosis for a patient with colitis?
- Find a local Gastroenterologist in your town
When should I contact my doctor about colitis?
Diarrhea is a common symptom of colitis. It, is usually self-limited, and resolves on its own with supportive care, including rest and a short course of a clear fluid diet. However, if the diarrhea persists for more than three weeks, if there is blood in the stool, or the person has signs of dehydration, medical care should be obtained.
- Blood in the stool is never normal and should always be evaluated. Common causes of blood in the stool include hemorrhoids; however, other serious causes of bleeding need to be investigated. Colitis is not the only cause of rectal bleeding. Others causes include diverticular disease of the colon (diverticulitis), colon polyps, anal fissures, and cancer.
- Chronic diarrhea can lead to dehydration, and if severe enough, dehydration may require treatment with fluids. The symptoms of dehydration may include:
- High fever associated with diarrhea may be a warning sign that a significant infection may be present.
- Abdominal pain is not normal, and while diarrhea may be associated with mild cramps, the presence of increasing abdominal pain, requires need to seek prompt medical attention.
Viewers share their comments
Find out what women really need.