Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Colitis, or inflammation of the lining tissues of the large intestine (colon), can be caused by infections, loss of blood supply, or chronic diseases. Despite the cause, people suffering from colitis may have typical symptoms that include abdominal pain, cramping, bloating, and diarrhea. Some types of colitis may be associated with bloody diarrhea. Colitis can be part of a disease that affects other parts of the body, causing fever, chills, fatigue, and dehydration symptoms (weakness, decreased urine output). Ulcerative colitis is a chronic condition that has other manifestations in the body, including mouth ulcers, joint swelling, and skin inflammation.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Longo, Dan, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Main Article on Colitis Symptoms and Signs
Colitis Symptoms and Signs
Examples of Medications for Colitis Symptoms and Signs
- acetaminophen, Tylenol and Others
- ampicillin, Omnipen, Polycillin, Principen
- azathioprine, Imuran, Azasan
- balsalazide disodium, Colazal
- cyclosporine microemulsion capsule - oral, Gengraf, Neoral
- gentamicin - injection, Garamycin
- hydrocortisone oral, Hydrocortone, Cortef
- hydrocortisone sodium succinate - injection, A-Hydrocort, Solu-Cortef
- infliximab, Remicade
- loperamide, Imodium; Kaopectate II; Imodium A-D; Maalox Anti-Diarrheal
- mercaptopurine - oral, Purinethol
- mesalamine, Pentasa, Rowasa, Asacol, Asacol HD, Lialda, Canasa, Apriso, Delzicol
- methylprednisolone, Medrol, Depo-Medrol, Solu-Medrol
- metronidazole, Flagyl
- olsalazine, Dipentum
- sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim, Bactrim, Septra
- sulfasalazine, Azulfidine
- vancomycin - oral, Vancocin
Find out what women really need.