Image Collection: Additional Conditions
- All (559)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Bacterial Skin Diseases (29)
- Fungal Skin Diseases (17)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Diseases of Pigment (26)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Pregnancy Stages (9)
38. Picture of Diverticulitis
Diverticula can be seen via barium x-ray (barium enema). The diverticula are seen as barium filled pouches protruding from the colon wall. Direct visualization of the colon can be achieved through flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy. In patients suspected of having a diverticular abscess causing persistent pain and fever, ultrasound and CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis can be done to detect collections of pus.
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) Slideshow
Image Source: Image reprinted with permission from eMedicine.com, 2008.
Text: MedicineNet - Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis)
Guide to understanding the Image Collection Gallery categories:
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?