Image Collection: Medical Illustrations
- All (559)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Medical Illustrations (101)
- Oral Health (22)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) (12)
- Eye Diseases and Conditions (19)
- Pregnancy and Fetal Development (9)
- Bacterial Skin Infections (29)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Diseases of Pigment (26)
- Fungal Skin Infections (17)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Treatment and Procedures (18)
- Brain Disorders (7)
Pill Identifier on RxList
- quick, easy,
Find a Local Pharmacy
- including 24 hour, pharmacies
- Check potential drug interactions
18. Picture of Foot
Foot: The end of the leg on which a person normally stands and walks. The foot is an extremely complex anatomic structure made up of 26 bones and 33 joints that must work together with 19 muscles and 107 ligaments to execute highly precise movements. At the same time the foot must be strong to support more than 100,000 pounds of pressure for every mile walked. Even small changes in the foot can unexpectedly undermine its structural integrity and cause pain with every step.
Foot function has been in conflict with fashion for many years. In China, girls once had their feet bound to shorten them by bending the toes backward. Nowadays, high heels can and often do cause foot problems as well as knee, hip, and back pain. Too narrow shoes make the big toe bend outward, forming a bunion or swollen big-toe joint. Some shoes scrunch up the smaller toes, causing claw or hammer toes with painful corns or calluses on the tops of these toes. Shoes first and foremost should fit the feet.
Cosmetic surgery on the feet done purely to permit the person to wear fashionable shoes runs a serious risk of producing more harm than good. The American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society advises against cosmetic surgery on the feet.
The foot as a measure of length is 12 inches or a third of a yard or, metrically, 30.48 centimeters. The foot, along with the inch and the yard, are Old World creations to which the USA has stubbornly clung. The foot was originally the length of a man's foot and served as a measurement of land. (Better to have had big feet when stepping off your land) The abbreviation for foot is ft.
Text: MedicineNet, Inc.
Guide to understanding the Image Collection Gallery categories:
- Shoes and Diabetes: Choosing the Right Pair
- 9 Questions to Ask Before Having Surgery
- 9 Things That Are Making Your Feet Hurt