Image Collection: Viral Skin Diseases
- All (559)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Bacterial Skin Diseases (29)
- Fungal Skin Diseases (17)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Diseases of Pigment (26)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Pregnancy Stages (9)
Pill Identifier on RxList
- quick, easy,
Find a Local Pharmacy
- including 24 hour, pharmacies
- Check potential drug interactions
14. Picture of Measles
Measles: An acute and highly contagious viral disease characterized by fever, runny nose, cough, red eyes, and a spreading skin rash. Measles, also known as rubeola, is a potentially disastrous disease. It can be complicated by ear infections, pneumonia, encephalitis (which can cause convulsions, mental retardation, and even death), the sudden onset of low blood platelet levels with severe bleeding (acute thrombocytopenic purpura), or a chronic brain disease that occurs months to years after an attack of measles (subacute sclerosing panencephalitis).
Treatment includes rest, calamine lotion or other anti- itching preparations to soothe the skin, non-aspirin pain relievers for fever, and in some cases antibiotics. Measles can often be prevented through vaccination. Also known as hard measles, seven-day measles, eight-day measles, nine-day measles, ten-day measles, morbilli.
Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary by MedicineNet, Inc.
Guide to understanding the Image Collection Gallery categories: