Image Collection: Fungal Skin Diseases
- All (557)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Bacterial Skin Diseases (29)
- Fungal Skin Diseases (17)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Diseases of Pigment (26)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Pregnancy Stages (9)
7. Picture of Tinea Capitis
Tinea capitis is also known as ringworm of the scalp. This fungal infection generally affects school-age children and may spread in schools. It appears as scalp scaling associated with bald spots usually showing broken-off hairs. Oral antibiotics are needed to penetrate the hair roots and cure the infection after which hair grows back.
Hair Loss Slideshow
Image Source: Image reprinted with permission from eMedicine.com, 2010.
Text: MedicineNet - Hair Loss in Men and Women
Guide to understanding the Image Collection Gallery categories:
- Guide: Beauty and Healthy Living Facts You Can’t Live Without
- Will Health Reform Affect You?
- How to Save Money on Health Care