"Potential drug treatments are tested on paper, in laboratories and eventually in thousands of people. But every drug that goes through this cycle â€“ every drug that FDA approves â€“ carries some risk. One of the first lines of defense against "...
Instructions for Patient:
- colyte® with flavor packs (peg electrolytes solution) can be used with or without the addition
of one flavor pack.
- If you prefer an unflavored solution, discard the flavor packs and proceed to step 5.
- If you prefer a flavored solution, proceed to step 2.
- Choose one of the flavor packs.
- Tear open the selected flavor pack at the indicated marking and pour the contents into the bottle BEFORE adding any water. Discard the unused flavor packs.
- SHAKE WELL to incorporate flavoring into the powder.
- Add tap water to the top of the FILL line marked 4 liters. Recap tightly and mix or shake well until the powder has completely dissolved. No additional ingredients should be added to the solution.
- Refrigerate the solution until ready to drink. Chilling improves the taste. Store no longer than 48 hours.
- For best results, solid food should not be eaten during the 3 to 4 hour period before you start drinking the solution. Never eat solid food within 2 hours of drinking the solution.
- Drink a glassful (8 oz.) of the solution every 10 minutes. It is best to drink the solution rapidly, rather than sipping slowly. Continue drinking a glassful every 10 minutes until your watery stool is clear and free of solid matter. This normally requires drinking 3 to 4 liters (3 to 4 quarts). The bottle should be empty (4 liters consumed) or the remaining solution should be at or below the 1 liter mark (at least 3 liters consumed).
KEEP RECONSTITUTED SOLUTION REFRIGERATED.
USE WITHIN 48 HOURS. DISCARD UNUSED PORTION.
Last reviewed on RxList: 5/4/2009
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional CoLyte Information
CoLyte - User Reviews
CoLyte User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.