"May 8, 2015 -- The thyroid drug Synthroid continues to be the nation's most-prescribed medication. But Humira, which treats a variety of conditions, had the highest sales, according to the research firm IMS Health.
The firm released data on"...
CoLyte Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Colyte, Colyte with Flavor Packs, GaviLyte-C, GaviLyte-G, GaviLyte-N, GoLYTELY, MoviPrep, NuLYTELY, NuLYTELY Cherry, NuLYTELY Lemon Lime, NuLYTELY Orange, NuLYTELY with Flavor Packs, PEG-3350 with Electolytes, TriLyte with Flavor Packs
Generic Name: polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution (Pronunciation: pall ee ETH il een GLYE kol ee LEK troe lyte)
- What is polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution (CoLyte)?
- What are the possible side effects of polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution?
- What is the most important information I should know about polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution?
- How should I take polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution?
- What happens if I miss a dose?
- What happens if I overdose?
- What should I avoid while taking polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution?
- What other drugs will affect polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution?
- Where can I get more information?
What is polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution (CoLyte)?
Polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution is a laxative solution that increases the amount of water in the intestinal tract to stimulate bowel movements. This medication also contains potassium, sodium, and other minerals to replace electrolytes that are passed from the body in the stool.
Polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution is used to clean the bowel before colonoscopy, a barium x-ray, or other intestinal procedures.
Polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- severe stomach pain or bloating;
- no bowel movement within 2 hours after use; or
- gagging, choking, or vomiting.
If you have any of these side effects, you may need to drink the medication more slowly, or stop using it for a short time.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild stomach cramps, gas, or bloating;
- rectal pain or irritation;
- nausea; or
- passing gas.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the CoLyte (peg electrolytes solution) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to polyethylene glycol or any other electrolyte solutions (such as Pedialyte or Gatorade).
You should also not use this medication if you have a perforated bowel, a bowel obstruction or severe constipation, or colitis or toxic megacolon. If you have any these conditions, you could have dangerous or life-threatening side effects from polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution.
People with eating disorders (such as anorexia or bulimia) should not take polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution without the advice of a doctor.
Talk to your healthcare provider if you are not able to consume all of the solution. Incomplete cleansing of the bowel may affect the scheduled procedure.
Additional CoLyte Information
CoLyte - User Reviews
CoLyte User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.