"The European Medicines Agency (EMA) has approved mepolizumab (Nucala, GlaxoSmithKline) as an add-on treatment for severe refractory eosinophilic asthma in adults in the 31 European countries covered by the EMA, according to a company state"...
Patient's Instructions for Use
(ipratropium bromide and albuterol sulfate) Inhalation Aerosol
Read complete instructions carefully before using
Use COMBIVENT Inhalation Aerosol exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not change your dose or how often you use COMBIVENT Inhalation Aerosol without talking with your doctor. Talk to your doctor if you have questions about your medical condition or your treatment.
Tell your doctor about all of the medicines you take. COMBIVENT Inhalation Aerosol and some other medicines may interact with each other. Do not use other inhaled medicines with COMBIVENT Inhalation Aerosol unless prescribed by your doctor.
1. Insert metal canister into clear end of mouthpiece (see Figure 1). Make sure the canister is fully and firmly inserted into the mouthpiece. The COMBIVENT Inhalation Aerosol canister is to be used only with the COMBIVENT Inhalation Aerosol mouthpiece. This mouthpiece should not be used with other inhaled medicines.
2. Remove orange protective dust cap. If the cap is not on the mouthpiece, make sure there is nothing in the mouthpiece before use. For best results, the canister should be at room temperature before use.
3. Shake and Test Spray. Perform this step before using for the first time, and whenever the aerosol has not been used for more than 24 hours; otherwise, proceed directly to Step 4.
After vigorously shaking the canister for at least 10 seconds (see step 4 for instructions on shaking), “test-spray” into the air 3 times. Avoid spraying in eyes.
4. Shake the canister vigorously for at least 10 seconds. Hold canister as illustrated in Figure 2.
IMPORTANT: Vigorous shaking for at least 10 seconds before each spray is very important for proper product performance.
For best results, perform Steps 5 and 6 within 30 seconds of shaking the canister.
5. Breathe out (exhale) deeply through your mouth. Holding the canister upright as shown in Figure 3, between your thumb and finger(s), put the mouthpiece in your mouth and close your lips. Keep your eyes closed so that no medicine will be sprayed into your eyes. Combivent® (ipratropium bromide and albuterol sulfate) Inhalation Aerosol can cause blurry vision, narrow-angle glaucoma or worsening of this condition or eye pain if the medicine is sprayed into your eyes.
6. Breathe in (inhale) slowly through your mouth and at the same time spray the product into your mouth.
To spray the product, firmly press once on the canister against the mouthpiece as shown in Figure 4. Keep breathing in deeply.
7. Hold your breath for 10 seconds, remove the mouthpiece from your mouth and breathe out slowly, as in Figure 5.
8. Wait approximately 2 minutes, shake the inhaler vigorously for at least 10 seconds again (as described in Step 4), and repeat Steps 5 to 7.
9. Replace the orange protective dust cap after use.
10. Keep the mouthpiece clean. Wash with hot water. If soap is used, rinse thoroughly with plain water. Dry thoroughly before use. When dry, replace cap on the mouthpiece when not using the drug product.
11. Keep track of the number of sprays used and discard after 200 sprays. Even though the canister is not empty, you cannot be sure of the amount of medicine in each spray after 200 sprays.
12. If your prescribed dose does not provide relief or your breathing symptoms become worse, get medical help right away.
Note: The indented statement below is required by the Federal government's Clean Air Act for all products containing or manufactured with chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs):
This product contains trichloromonofluoromethane (CFC-11), dichlorodifluoromethane (CFC-12) and dichlorotetrafluoroethane (CFC-114), substances which harm the environment by destroying ozone in the upper atmosphere.
The contents of Combivent® (ipratropium bromide and albuterol sulfate) Inhalation Aerosol are under pressure. Do not puncture the canister. Do not use or store near heat or open flame. Exposure to temperatures above 120°F may cause bursting. Never throw the container into a fire or incinerator.
Keep COMBIVENT Inhalation Aerosol out of reach of children.
Avoid spraying in eyes.
Address medical inquiries to: http://us.boehringer-ingelheim.com, (800) 542-6257 or (800) 459-9906 TTY.
Store at 25°C (77°F); excursions permitted to 15°-30°C (59°-86°F) [see USP Controlled Room Temperature]. For best results, store the canister at room temperature before use. Avoid excessive humidity.
Last reviewed on RxList: 9/27/2012
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Combivent Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.